General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

camaro rack and pinion steering not fitting??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camaro rack and pinion steering not fitting??

My door sticker says I have the FE2 option, so, I get that rack and pinion to replace it. Now, before i bolt it up, I align everything and the steering (link to input shaft) hits the motor mount, wtf?? So, now I am wondering what I have in there? Why would my door sticker say FE2 if the unit does not fit? Maybe they put in the wrong part in the box? That could be, but, the box is stapled from the factory so I guess it would have happened there? Is there two differant steering shaft to rack inout universal sets? Need to check some things out.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

yep, I know how you feel, my 98 t/a had the same problem. The rack that the sticker calls for is not the correct one. I think it is classified as performance package or not. There are two different kinds. The one for the t/a is the one w/o the performance package (go figure). so just go get the other one, b/c i had the same problem (drove the car and the mounts were hitting the gear box and I thought they were installed wrong).
Old 11-18-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i recently replaced mine on my TA....napa sent me the wrong rack though....90 degree when i needed the 60....
Old 11-20-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. WHat was the codes on the door for yours? Seems i have the performance rack on mine as mine is 2 1/4 turn and the "supposid" replacement is 2 3/4
Old 11-20-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gu2..
Old 02-16-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, update that my rack is in (well, a while back) and I can tell you, do NOT look at the door sticker to tell you what you have. Seems there is an assembly line fluke and many cars door sticker will not match which rack you have. You MUST crawl under the car and read the number on the rack. The correct replacement rack will have the same number no matter where you get it "physicly" on the rack itself. Also, do not try to use the racks number as the sole means for a part number. Many rebuilders use different numbers and dont even use the racks numbers in the books, it is one of those "behind the scene" numbers that I am not sure they even know about, lol.