General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

idle issue? *HELP!!!*

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle issue? *HELP!!!*

the car is my 2000 T/A and she only has a lid, filter and LM catback. just yesterday she hesitated when i started her up in the morning to head to work. thought maybe it was just cause it was cold out. at lunch she had major hesitation starting up and then idled all over the place, nearly stalling out, but i kept giving her gas and after about 45 secs she seemed okay. today, exact same thing in the morning and lunch this after noon was even a little worse on the start up. i almost didn't think she was going to run. the car only has 22k miles on it and has run flawlessly the last 9 months/6k miles i've owned her. Mobile 1 full synthetic on the oil changes since i got her. any idea's at what i might be looking at? my Z never did anything like this. help!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youve either got a intake leak, a fouled injector, or a coil pack going out on you....those are some of the high possibilities
Old 12-05-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's quite a few starts/cycles with the same issues - SES never illuminated? How old is the battery?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Launching!

no SES and the battery is original. how would the battery affect idle though?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

i hope its not what i think,but from your description i'm going to say its very possible fuel system problems.Put a test gauge on the port at the fuel rail and get some readings.Also i'd pull the fuel filter and inspect the lines and fuel rail for rust.Low mileage cars are famous for sitting and rusting the fuel system.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Launching!

YomammasTA-

kinda thought it might have something to do with the fuel system as well... at least, that's what it felt like.

i'm not even off work till 8 and it's going to be dark as hell then. i don't have a garage or really any tools at my apartment, everything's at my parents. i might have to take it in. i wanna have a good idea as to what it might be though before i resort to that.

any other ideas?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you said "hesitated when I started her up in the morning" was thinking you meant it turned over slower than normal? Low voltage/CCAs on startup can cause the PCM to reset and have to relearn the idle. Surprised your still on the original battery, at 25K I'm on my third since new. When the first two died never got an SES. I always look towards the easiest things first - check the battery connections (especially the positive cable for leaks on the Delco) or bring it in and have it load tested free at a parts store. If nothing else it'll eliminate it as the problem.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Launching!

nah... i just meant that it turned over a few times where as it usually just fires right up when i turn the key. but after it kicked over it just sounded like a lopey *** cam, ya know? real blurt-blurt-blurt, almost stalling. i probably do need to replace the battery though before it strands me somewhere, i'll do that just for the sake of doing it, but i have reservations that it's what's causing the problem. thanks for your help.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my 98 has been doing the same thing these past couple cold mornings. it will stall out if i dotn hold the idle up by giving it throttle blips. but after a minute or so when it seems to warm up a little bit, it runs fine. doesnt seem like a fuel issue though because it runs normal when warm. if i go start it up when its warm itll start normally also
Old 12-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Launching!

I have the same ting, when its cold it seems like it wants to stall, but once it warms up it idles smooth without probelms. I'll start the car and the diel might be jumpy, and if Im driving and brake hard while its still cold the RPMs drop and ALMOST Stall but then comes right back up once the car comes to a full stop. I'm also having a secondary issue where the gas pedal sticks even though I'm not on it, usually happens at 74mph in 6th gear (no idea why but its happened the same point 3 times).
Old 12-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BiggCmass
I have the same ting, when its cold it seems like it wants to stall, but once it warms up it idles smooth without probelms. I'll start the car and the diel might be jumpy, and if Im driving and brake hard while its still cold the RPMs drop and ALMOST Stall but then comes right back up once the car comes to a full stop. I'm also having a secondary issue where the gas pedal sticks even though I'm not on it, usually happens at 74mph in 6th gear (no idea why but its happened the same point 3 times).
look for linda blair in the back in the cargo area.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Teching In

My car has this problem as well. I tried a i.a.c. motor and it seems to have made the problem worse. The problem seems to go away afterwarm up and restarting. It seems as the temperature drops the problem shows up. After installing the i.a.c. motor the problem is there all the time, and now the engine revs up between shifts, like I'm not letting up on the accelerator. I'm going to put the old one back in, maybe I got a bad one. This happened on my original motor which blew up on start up one morning, and I would hate for this to happen on my new motor.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure you actually clean the iac passages and not just replace the motor. i just cleaned mine out and left the motor
Old 12-14-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

start simple...check the air filter and MAF sensor. I had a siilar issue once and my MAF sensor was clogged with some junk.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Teching In

I scrubbed the throttle body until I thought it was gonna press charges and my maf has been descreened. I'm leary about cleaning the wire itself. I dont think its a vacuum leak as it runs fine after it warms up, although I sometimes have to turn it off and restart it to calm it down. Would a maf going out cause this problem. Still no codes either.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

usually a bad maf will have continous problems...just not at start up...plus your maf would most like throw a code....how are the sensors in the TB....
Old 12-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Teching In

The i.a.c motor and t.p.s. are new. Now it revs up between shifts even though I let off the accelerator. And its doing it all the time. When I stop at a light, it takes a couple of seconds to idle down to 1200. The humidity is way up as we've had wicked fog the past few days, but should he car be so sensitive to weather changes? When it was hot and dry, it idled better, say 900 or so and didn't rev up between shifts. At least I've learned how to shift faster .
Old 12-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Launching!

You could try unplugging the MAF sensor, couldnt hurt to try and would only take a minute