General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lights Pulsating..

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
I think I will try the alternator, I can get parts very cheap from GM, so it won't cost me much at all. Thanks guys!!
Please report back, and let us know if this fixes the problem.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thecarolinakid~98ss
same problem or a similar situation I am having. I notice that when at night when sitting at a light my headlights will go dim then back to normal. My car has always done this. I have changed the battery once so its fairly new.

sounds like your fans are coming on pullin some amps and once they are started up the lights come back to normal...make sence?

and my car does this while driving but i think my powerstearing is leaking so im not suprised at all..time to spend some money
Old 04-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did any of you that replaced the alternators fix this problem?

Here is what my car is doing. Pulled it out of storage last month and the Optima Red top was completely dead( about 1 year old battery). It did not have enough juice to unlock the doors. So I took it out and charged it.

The last couple of days I've just by chance noticed that the voltage is just below the 4th line on the guage in the car so it appears to be charging at around 15 volts. I noticed last year right before I parked it for the winter that the headlights are pulsating. Well today I decided to drive it to work(first time its been driven at night this year) The light are still pulsating but now occationaly coming to a stop when I put the clutch in and the engine comes to an idle the voltage drops to about 12v for a couple of seconds and shoots back up. This happened around 4 times out of 6-7 stops that I came to on the way to work. All conections are tight and clean and the car has 26,000 miles.

If it is the alternator I'll try to get it replaced under my extended warranty that expired 3 weeks ago.

thanks for any input.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Internal regulator problem in the alternator. Common problem, sometimes it can be intermittent.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Launching!

We'll now the system is charging normally at around 13-14 volts but it is still dropping to 12 or so when the engine comes to an idle. Like mentioned sounds like a regulator problem so I guess it will be new alternator time weeee.

Also I contacted two dealers and neither will accept a warranty claim when it is just merely 3 weeks out of warranty
Old 04-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Launching!

We'll guys I just put another new optima in because the one that was in it tested good but would not accept a full charge. This did not fix the voltage jumping around when the car comes to an idle. I just double checked all of the ground wires that I could find and everything seems to be ok. So it looks like an alternator is in the works for me with on 26,000 miles .

I know that everyone on here says to get a GM one but is there any other ones that would be ok too? I ask because I would prefer to buy at a local place so if there is a problem with I don't have to mess with shipping. Advanced Auto has Autolite and Palladium new none rebuilt ones. Are these any good? By the way I only drive the car 2-3k per year.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ws6Pewter:
Our cars must be twins or something cause I have the EXACT same symptoms with about 30k on the clock. My warranty runs out in August, so I'll have mine replaced then with a gm part.

I recommend going with a GM alternator. I've very rarely seen issues with a GM unit, and from what I've read in other threads re-builts or new alts from chain stores like AutoZone, Kragen, etc... are a gamble. I usually go through Gmpartsdirect and have not had any problems with anything I've gotten from them.

Good luck, and please let us know if the new alternator fixes the problem.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

I ordered a reman from pepboys to correct the same type of problem, and everything has been good so far, about 4 months.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE GUYS!!!!!!!! I got my alternator replaced today and everything is back to normal And im very happy.. NO MORE DIMMING LIGHT OR JUMPING VOLTAGE>>>>It seems that my car is running better, or is it me!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Default Same problem

I been having this problem for a few months now. I just replaced the alternator for the second time and same problem. I gave up and brought my car to the stealer ship today. They said it was another bad alternator. Well they changed it. Guy calls me up to tell me the alternator has been replaced but the gauge is still jumping but only when the fans turn on. So they kept my car until tomorrow so they can run more tests on it. Man this is costing me an arm and a leg.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

mine did the same thing it was caused by a vac. leaks from the collectors on my long tubes which were not letting the o2 close out!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

well my car is still at the stealer ship, They can not seem to be able to find out what is causing it.