General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

heating and air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heating and air conditioning

I have an 1998 Ls1 Transam WS6

I have no heat and no air conditioning and i have no idea why?
The blower motor goes through all the speeds all the vents work with the selector. But it always blow the same constant luke warm air

The Engine reaches operating temperature And the thermostat seems to be working fine.

Now i dont know if they are a coinsidence that they both stopped working around the same time or they are the same problem

Any Suggestions
Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Teching In

im in the same situation here... i heard that it is most likely caused by a clogged line to your heater core, so i would say get a radiator flush and see if it helps ( i tried and it didnt work for me).if that doesnt do it, it could be a vacuum leak which i think is where my problem is.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Dont mess with radiator flush that stuff is crap. Disconnect your heater hoses and blow air through it and it will blow whatever crap accumulated in it out. Just dont put too much pressure on it or you'll blow the bitch up. As for the a/c if it is out of refirgerant then that will cause the insufficient a/c coolings. Nine times out of ten if it is empty the compressor is leaking or the high pressure discharge line from the compressor to the condensor.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Default Heating and airconditioning

Now i have been battling this problem for quite some time and i understand that the rad fans should come on when the a/c is turned on to draw air across the condenser This does not happen. as for the heat i will try flushing the heater core but i have a feeling that its not going to do much.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Teching In

And i am almost positive that the compressor has refrigerent .
I Have herd that everything is tied in together and if one system fails its all fails
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Whoever told you that has got one big crackpipe. This is coming from a mechanic not a shlock wearing wifebeaters in the driveway. Without putting a set of gauges on it you cannot accurately diagnose the a/c system. The a
c and heat are not tied together in any way..
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Teching In

so what are my first steps
Old 03-14-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Get you some gauges and verify the a/c system has refrigerant. If it's out recharge with refrigerant and dye.Be ready for the compressor to be dead. The fans will not turn on until the compressor clutch engages or until a command for the fans based on engine coolant temperature. As far as the heater goes the easiest and cheapest way is going to be blowing out the core with compressed air but carefully. Start the vehicle and wait for the stat to open. The heater hoses going into and out of the heater core should both be hot. If one is cold then the heater core is stopped up real bad and yo have to pull the dash to change the heater core. If both hoses are hot and you still have insufficient heat in the vehicle then it is possible the mix dor that blends from the a./c to the heater core to obtain the desired cabin temperature has something wrong. First thing to do if you make it this far is pull the cable off the bottom of the airox and grab the tang for the blend door and twist it to see if it has it's full range of motion. Then make sure the cable moves smoothly. I am reasonable sure though you will discover both problems fairly quickly though. good luck
Old 03-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks 01WS6/tamu