General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

best oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
i know one of you will post a reply just to get the last word in.
Wrong again. I'm posting because you are so blindingly incorrect. Knowing how to put an engine together for the last ten years obviously doesn't mean you know squat about oil. Your bona fides are worth about as much as Confederate dollars. Stick to wrenching, oil is definitely not your bag.

Now, to the original question...

Modern motor oils are all pretty good. 3k mile changes and you can't go wrong with any of them. Even Super Tech oil from WallyWorld is giving up some pretty good results.

Fake synthetics (hydrocracked petroleum), by and large, are better. Probably one of the most popular is Pennzoil Platinum. It has been providing outstanding results for not too bad a price.

True synthetics are best. Amsoil (not all weights are true synthetic), Redline, and GC all seem to give some really good results. LS1s seem to really take to GC.

But, since each oil, motor, car, and driver combination is different than any other, the only way you can REALLY know how your combination is doing is to try different oils and get your used oil analyzed at a place like Blackstone Labs. Try other combinations and see where your results go.

There is a great history of used oil analysis at BOBISTHEOILGUY.Com that you can see how different oils work in different cars. Plenty to read and learn there.

Oh, and they have real Oil Engineers there that know what they're talking about.

Good luck on your Quest for the Best.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found this chart (huge kudos to those that put it together) of the various and relative viscosities of oils. It is a great educator, BITOG. Everyone that changes their own oil should be a member there, too.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Mr Incredible, as usual we are on the same page with oil. I find it very sad (but somehow amusing) that there is so much misinformation posted on this site about oil. Too many people that think they have oil "figured out" because they are mechanics. Hell, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an engineer/oil expert, but I've spent enough time learning from the experts to get a feel for what is what.

One thing though, what have you heard recently on M1 0 and 5 W40 weights? Last I read, they were still beleived to be Group IV (true) synthetics, unlike the GpIII 30 weights from Mobil 1. Any more updates on that?

PS. Nice chart posted above.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't recall having seen anything more definite than is already there. The big time and money has been spent decoding GC.

And, since ExxonMobil is being so closed-mouth, only their hairdressers know for sure...

Though I can't say I find it all that amusing, these head-butting sessions with Oblivions. I, too, find myself occasionally on the losing side of an argument, most often occuring because what I'm arguing was correct 20 years ago but is not any longer. Still, you'd think the light bulb would go on a little faster for somebody that is supposed to know...

But, on the other hand, on BITOG there was a Parts Store Horror Story about the guy who was listening to the Parts Guy telling a poor civilian that the best thing they could do would be to immediately change their oil to 15w-50, 'cause it would give their new car so much better protection.

There's just no helping some folks.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 03-24-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Though I can't say I find it all that amusing, these head-butting sessions with Oblivions.
Perhaps I used the wrong term. Amusing might not have been the best choice of words. I think "intriguing" would be more accurate; intriguing in the fact that somehow people are unwilling to investigate their opinions more deeply when faced with facts that contradict their beliefs.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
bww3588, you're just wasting your time with this one man. There will always be some people that refuse to face facts when the facts don't support their opinion. At that point all you can do is let it go.

We've posted all the info necessary for readers to make an informed decision.
RPM WS6, MR.Incredible, you're just wasting your time with this one man. There will always be some people that refuse to face facts when the facts don't support their opinion. At that point all you can do is let it go.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:26 AM
12 Second Club

this is the part where you both digress.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by bww3588
RPM WS6, MR.Incredible, you're just wasting your time with this one man. There will always be some people that refuse to face facts when the facts don't support their opinion. At that point all you can do is let it go.

Originally Posted by bww3588
this is the part where you both digress.
LOL! Damn I didn't even see that one coming. That was some pretty good late night humor.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LOL! Damn I didn't even see that one coming. That was some pretty good late night humor.
just keeping things alive.......