General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Leak Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Leak Questions

I have been on here recently regarding an oil leak thats depositing oil on the rear of my oil pan. To combat this, I was under the car today to see what needs to be replaced. I was afraid of the rear main seal leaking, so I popped the converter access hole open on the bellhousing to see if there was any oil in there, it was bone dry. If I am correct, this means that there is no rear main seal leak, because if there was wouldnt the flywheel and converter be covered with oil? It appears that there is oil running down the side of my block due to what looks like a valve cover issue. The PCV valve was just changed, but was caked with deposits but still clicked when shaken indicating that it still worked.

I have included a few pictures where there is some oil build up on the drivers side rear underside of the engine. From the pics, we can see the oil filter which is tight and has a good seal on it, but what is that weird looking sensor/valve thing above the filter assembly? Does the gasket on that go bad? There is a significant amount of oil build up around there. Please help me regarding the rear main seal info and that sensor/valve above the oil filter. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak Questions-oil-leak3.jpg   Oil Leak Questions-oil-leak4.jpg  

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 03-31-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: No pics
Old 03-31-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

To The top
Old 04-02-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Does anybody know what that thing is above the filter? If my converter/flywheel are dry, does it mean the rear main seal is fine? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That "thing" above the oil filter is the oil bypass. It's held on with two 10mm bolts.....the gasket between the bypass & the block might be leaking.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks JMM, I will look into that with further detail.