General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible ATF in the Coolant - Power steering cooler is the suspect + hose questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible ATF in the Coolant - Power steering cooler is the suspect + hose questions

Search isn't working right now, but I found a few posts mentioning that the factory power steering fluid cooler failed in such a way that power steering fluid and coolant were able to mix.

I have milky, rusty red Dexron III ATF in the power steering reservoir, and sucking this out/refilling with fresh Dexron III has not improved things. In addition, yesterday when hot the level was MUCH higher than the "Hot" mark on the dipstick, which I had filled it to the week before.

It looks like contamination of the power steering fluid - while I do have one or more power steering hose leaks, I suspect that the culprit is the power steering cooler letting Dexcool and Dexron III ATF mix. While I can see how the leaks in the power steering hoses might arate the fluid, but it is discolored to a milky/rusty red - would areation do that? Those of you that have had this happen, what does the power steering fluid look like when it gets coolant in it?

In the coolant overflow tank, the Dexcool looks and smells pretty normal on the dipstick - but since both fluids are red, it's hard to say exactly.

Can the power steering cooler be repaired? i.e. is it a gasket that leaks and can be replaced with RTV gasket maker? Or it it an actual breach in the metal that means you have to replace the cooler? That (along with a coolant flush and power steering flush) will be the 1st order of business.

Then I'll address the power steering hose leaks - I know there is a high pressure line, and a return line - but I'm sure one of those is split up because of the cooler. Are there any others, maybe pipes going to the rack that I should check? I've replaced power steering hoses on my other car with recirc ball steering, but not on a rack and pinion car before.

Thanks in advance for any help!