General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oh wow...caliper fell off on freeway..

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the 12 bolt went into the LT1 car, I had the bottom caliper bracket bolt come off, the caliper slipped and ground the inside of the rim out, I fixed it, for you it must have come off the top. it dropped and the car caught it and ripped out out.

Get it fixed and good luck
Old 04-06-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 89TransAmWS6
FWIW, if you think about what happened thats not bad at all in terms of damage.

Ive seen a few come into the shop (not fbodies) that have had calipers come off for various reasons, and they can wipe **** out preety good!

But wasnt it making any kind of noise before it went? It had to have been.. Id be willing to bed the other bridge bolt was loose, it fell out and the whole thing moving snapped the other bolt? Ive never seen one just snap.. there not little bolts either lol
yeah no noise up until it happened but the bolts were not screwed in tight enough....so the top one worked its way out and caused the bottom bolt to snap right off on the freeway...only noise i heard was the sound of my balance weights getting ripped off by the caliper...those things were getting shot out like bullets!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
same exact thing happend to me. turns out the place that did the brakes before i bought the car had lost one of the caliper bracket bolts and they put a grade 5 in there instead of the 9.8 that should be in there. i eneded up being able to get the bolt out and went and got some 10.9's to put in there and then blue loc tited them hasn't happened agian.
i got the 10.9s as well...$5 each!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a nice kit from GM for doing brakes - includes caliper bolt seals, anti rattle springs and new bolts. It's fairly inexpensive and I recommend it whenever doing brakes, along with using a torque wrench on the mounting bolts.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
Holy ****! This EXACT same thing happened to me last year, the bolts sheared clean off and the caliper came off and got stuck in between my Rim and the rotor locking my passenger side front wheel up. It scared the **** out of me, I was clicking along at about 80 mph and I put my foot on the brake but the pedal was soft, then the car started shaking. I started to slowly move over to the slow lane when I heard this loud snap then the front wheel locked up. It ruined the rotor, caliper, caliper bracket, pads, knocked the balance weights off of my wheels and gouged them up. Man I hate to hear you went through the same crap I did! Good luck, hopefully it won't happen again.
Wow! Your're lucky you didn't crash.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hate the feeling of deja vue... had same thing happen to me going @ around 140 and ready to brake... basically, a bolt ran itself loose... it wasn't pretty... was able to not hit anything, though.
Now... I changed the brake brackets so that it uses 4 bolts instead of jsut 2.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks... now im fing paranoid as hell. I usually do my own breaks, but last break job I had them done someplace by a friend because I switched to drilled/slotted rotors, so thankfully if something happens I can blame it on the place he works. Still, I've never used loctite on caliper bolts in the past, am I just retarded as hell? or is that somewhat overkill?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Banned

man that sucks
Old 04-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Banned

man that really sucks
Old 04-15-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your pretty luckey dude, That happened to this kid at my school. Right front locked up, He did like 2 360's and slammed into a cement barrier. Car was totaled
Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Those bolts are one-time use only... if you ever remove them, you have to replace them with new ones...!!!

Quick Reply: oh wow...caliper fell off on freeway..