General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oh wow...caliper fell off on freeway..

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh wow...caliper fell off on freeway..

i was in the fast lane and heard something ping against somewhere underneath my car...thought i ran something over but then i heard it again and then when i braked the front right started to jolt real bad...

made it over to an exit safely swerving in between other traffic...got out of my car it was real dark outside...couldnt see what was going on but i knew because of the way it felt that it was my front passenger area...

then i seen it...i guess my caliper came off somehow and got trapped between the rotor and the wheel tearing off all those weights used to balance my wheels and just working the inside of the wheel...i cant tell if anthing else is damaged...

i will post pics up asap...this sucks but im thankful nothing worse happened...
Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 AM
On the tree

Who did the last brake job on your car?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy who works at a chev dealership told me the same sorta story about a tech not putting in the second caliper pin/bolt and the whole assembly flippin up and gouging a HUGE radius into the rim. This was back in 98 or so when vettes were new so he was fired like a cannon. but yeah, was it only 1 bolt or did the whole assembly just come loose? Hopefully your rim/caliper is ok
Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had that happen a couple summers ago....it wasn't on a freeway though....

one of the bolts loosened up and then popped out completely....i did the brake job, and both the bolts had been in tight.....now i'm paranoid and check them everytime i'm under the car
Old 04-04-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez. Glad you are O.K.
I was driving along I-59 SW in Houston (in my dad's Nissan pickup), headed toward Sugar Land. I heard a noise in the rear end and pulled over. Turned out that the right rear drum brake had disintegrated. I ended up having to replace the parts that had vanished and/or been ruined. My younger brother had rebuilt the brakes, and failed to do the job correctly. Could have been much worse if someone not in tune with automobiles had been driving.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Same thing happened to me.......that's the last time I'll have that friend help me with my brakes.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah actually now that i had a chance to look at it...

one of the bolts snapped and the threads in the other is stripped completely...

the caliper bracket is connected to that long arm looking thing...whats that called?...i was told that i just need to replace it rather then rethread it?? but i dunno never had this happen to me before...

just need to know the names of these parts...the spindle or hub that my rotor goes on is not a part of that long piece that the caliper bracket attatches to...I NEED HELP!!! hahaha
Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

LMFAO same things happened to me... gouged the **** out of my 18" zenetti wheel

i ended up hand breaking it the whole way home and holding on the front brakes the whole time barely so the friction would suck the caliper back onto the rotor.. if id let off it would clunk back and hit the wheel lol... what a shitty night i had.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

here are some pics...

Old 04-04-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn the bolts just snapped?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

PHEW!!! just got the snapped bolt out...all threads are intact none stripped so i think imma just go to the dealership and hope they have some extra bolts on hand...
Old 04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That bolt just flat out snapped? now im worried that its gonna happen on mine.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Bolts just don't sanp for no reason (usually). It was most likely overtighted which stretched the bolt, leading to the break.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Teching In

FWIW, if you think about what happened thats not bad at all in terms of damage.

Ive seen a few come into the shop (not fbodies) that have had calipers come off for various reasons, and they can wipe **** out preety good!

But wasnt it making any kind of noise before it went? It had to have been.. Id be willing to bed the other bridge bolt was loose, it fell out and the whole thing moving snapped the other bolt? Ive never seen one just snap.. there not little bolts either lol
Old 04-04-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

one of the bolts snapped and the threads in the other is stripped completely.
Somebody didn't use a tourque wrench.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

same exact thing happend to me. turns out the place that did the brakes before i bought the car had lost one of the caliper bracket bolts and they put a grade 5 in there instead of the 9.8 that should be in there. i eneded up being able to get the bolt out and went and got some 10.9's to put in there and then blue loc tited them hasn't happened agian.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks, I did my brakes 3 weeks ago and had to take all of the wheels off twice because i forgot to loctite the caliper bolts . If you need a new passanger rotor let me know. I just replace my rotors when I did the brakes and the old ones are still sitting around. Just cover the freight and you can have it.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Changing my shocks last night I get to the passenger side, where I've been hearing a metal on metal noise, and the lower caliper bolt is gone. I just bought the car a month ago.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy ****! This EXACT same thing happened to me last year, the bolts sheared clean off and the caliper came off and got stuck in between my Rim and the rotor locking my passenger side front wheel up. It scared the **** out of me, I was clicking along at about 80 mph and I put my foot on the brake but the pedal was soft, then the car started shaking. I started to slowly move over to the slow lane when I heard this loud snap then the front wheel locked up. It ruined the rotor, caliper, caliper bracket, pads, knocked the balance weights off of my wheels and gouged them up. Man I hate to hear you went through the same crap I did! Good luck, hopefully it won't happen again.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 89TransAmWS6
FWIW, if you think about what happened thats not bad at all in terms of damage.

Ive seen a few come into the shop (not fbodies) that have had calipers come off for various reasons, and they can wipe **** out preety good!

But wasnt it making any kind of noise before it went? It had to have been.. Id be willing to bed the other bridge bolt was loose, it fell out and the whole thing moving snapped the other bolt? Ive never seen one just snap.. there not little bolts either lol

That's how mine snapped, the top bolt was gone but the bottom one was broke clean in half.

Quick Reply: oh wow...caliper fell off on freeway..