General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need Help: If i Brake HARD in the LT1 The oil pressure goes wayyy down???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need Help: If i Brake HARD in the LT1 The oil pressure goes wayyy down???

Ok well the car has great oil pressure when i first start it up usually good ways above 60 here is a pic of it this morning heading for work.

But if i lay on the brakes pretty hard the oil pressure like falls down sometimes to 0 but right when i stop it goes back up to a lil above the 1st bar. but when i give it gas it goes back to right at 60. i dunno whats up with it, we just replaced the sending unit and just put a melling high flow oil pump in it. Should i be worried or what?
Old 04-09-2007, 11:30 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you brake hard the oil is probably sloshing forward and the pickup momentarily runs dry. Oil is probably low, or the pickup is to high.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Guess i could see that, we may have made the pickup tube to high but im not taking off the oil pan again should i just add some more oil? its Mobil 1 5W30
Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont add more oil if its already at capacity.....this will lead to other problems
Old 04-09-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by staringback05
dont add more oil if its already at capacity.....this will lead to other problems
Think i should just leave it alone?? or what
Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Are you sure you have the right amount of oil in the car???? Not by the dipstick level but by how many qts your engine should take.

My old caprice I had as my first car would flash the idiot light for oil pressure for a quick second if it was just about exactly a qt low when i would turn onto the street where I used to live very fast. It actually was pretty nice cause the first time it would do it I would know to add a qt of oil to it. The thing used lots of oil so I usually checked it often but it was a nice reminder if I forgot to look for a week or two.

Have you changed the pan too or just the oil pump. And are you sure you dont have a piece of gasket somewhere in one of the oil return holes keeping the oil from draining back down into the pan quickly. Seen that happen on more then one engine makes a pool of oil up top that wont drain back to the bottom fast on one side. You have to let the car sit for a long long time to be able to get an accurate reading of the oil. I would put an extra 1.4 to 1/2 qt in it and see if it still does it right before the next oil change and if it makes it stop measure the amount of oil your drain from the engine including the filter and double check that is what is required for that engine for a complete oil change.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Ya i put bout 5.5 quarts in it, and i just changed the oil pump and the oil sending unit and that is all.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Run a full six quarts in it you will be ok. I ran it in my lt1 all the time and never had any problems. Chances are the pickup is installed to high but dont worry about it just add more oil and you'll be fine.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

what he said
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Launching!

And if adding the extra .5 qt doesnt help, take a mallet and tap the bottom of your pan. If you hear a metal click after each blow then you probley dropprd the oil pick-up. If thats the case you need to get it fixed ASAP. If you dont here the pick-up bounce then like everyone else said its probley just the pick-up is to high. If you asked me it would still need to be fixed.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I always run 5 qts in it..put little over half in the Filter before I screw it on, then the rest in the Engine, and it's right at the Full Mark on the Stick, never had a problem.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Running six quarts will lead to no problems that is how I ran my lt1 for years without any problems. I also have ran the bigblock in my dd a quart over for my peace of mind without any problems for over 300K. He will be fine and it will keep him from having to pull the pan back off. Internet mechanics I swear.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

LOL well it was just weird seeing the oil pressure go way down like that. I guess ill jsut go ahead and add the 1/2 quart to it and see what happens thanks alot guys
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
On the tree

My L98 car did this for a while as well. The end result was the pickup fell off of the pump.

Did you have the pickup tack welded to the pump?

If not I am almost 100% for sure that is your problem that your pickup fell off of the pump. Do the right thing and pull the pan and make for sure before you kill the engine.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

No we didn't weld it we just put it back together, and why pull the pan if it still has pressure when it goes to 0 then thats when its time to pull the pan.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

running 6qrts wont hurt anything....however i wouldnt add more then that....the pan holds about 5.5 qrts....not including the filter....

if you just installed your oiling system i might go back over and make sure your pick up tube is set properly....
Old 04-12-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

running 6qrts wont hurt anything....however i wouldnt add more then that....the pan holds about 5.5 qrts....not including the filter....

if you just installed your oiling system i might go back over and make sure your pick up tube is set properly....
Ya but that would involve dropping the K-Member again and taking the whole car pretty much back apart lol which i really dont wana do again.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
On the tree

So you are willing to kill your motor because you want to be lazy after three people on here have had the exact same thing happen.

Dont take that the wrong way, but take the time and fix it right. Hard conering, braking and running with low or no oil pressure are not going to do anything positive to the motor.

If you want minimal down time get another pump and pick up and have them welded together that away you can just remove and replace and do it the right way.

Running 6 quarts is not the answer either, causes the crank to swing thru the oil and cost you some parasatic hp, this is th exact reason they make crank scrapers and deeper oil pans with longer pick ups. To keep the oil off of the crank and to not arate the oil and make it foamy which can cause caviatation on the oiling system.