General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunking noise from Pass rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default clunking noise from Pass rear wheel *solved*

Hey all,

I have a couple of noises happening that I can't figure out.

The first is a rotational clunking noise coming from the pass rear that happens when I first get going out of first gear, or when I accelerate through a right turn.

The second is a metal knocking sound also coming from the pass rear. It sounds like the brake pads are bouncing around. It is not a rotational sound, more of an occassional knock, but it does happen more often the faster I drive. It happens above 30mph and can easily be heard with the windows down. However, when I apply the brakes, the sound goes away regardless of speed.

The third is a high pitched squeal that lasts for a second when I punch it from any gear. As I get into the higher rpm's (above 4500 or so) it makes a quick high pitched squeal. Every time I've heard it I immediately let off the gas, so I don't know if it would continue making the noise as I accelerate.

The only mods to the car are a cutout and the car was lowered 1" by cutting the stock springs. The alignment was checked afterward and did not need adjusting. This was 3 years ago though, so who knows.

If anyone can help with any of these noises I'd really appreciate it.

Russell

*solved, I hope*

My axle bearing had frozen up and chewed up my axle. This allowed the axle to move around a lot! This play caused the rotational clunking sound. Also, the axle was moving so much that it was causing the brake caliper to float back and forth causing the metal clanking sound as the pads bounced back and forth.

I'm getting the axle and bearing replaced and will report back if that doesn't solve it.

Last edited by ws6-speed; 04-25-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be that your spare tire isnt bolted down
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea check your spare tire and jack. i can;t think of anything else that might be making a noise like that... maybe a loose antenna? but i've never heard of that before.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
Hey all,

I have a couple of noises happening that I can't figure out.

The first is a rotational clunking noise coming from the pass rear that happens when I first get going out of first gear, or when I accelerate through a right turn.

The second is a metal knocking sound also coming from the pass rear. It sounds like the brake pads are bouncing around. It is not a rotational sound, more of an occassional knock, but it does happen more often the faster I drive. It happens above 30mph and can easily be heard with the windows down. However, when I apply the brakes, the sound goes away regardless of speed.

The third is a high pitched squeal that lasts for a second when I punch it from any gear. As I get into the higher rpm's (above 4500 or so) it makes a quick high pitched squeal. Every time I've heard it I immediately let off the gas, so I don't know if it would continue making the noise as I accelerate.

The only mods to the car are a cutout and the car was lowered 1" by cutting the stock springs. The alignment was checked afterward and did not need adjusting. This was 3 years ago though, so who knows.

If anyone can help with any of these noises I'd really appreciate it.

Russell
Check your brake pads and rotors lately?

The squeal sound is probably being caused by a belt.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

check your pads and rotors and hope that it's not an axle seal/bearing going bad....
Old 04-18-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rotors / pads were recently replaced in hopes of fixing the problem. When I was lubing all the slide pins, the pass rear was completely dry. I mean completely! Every other slide pin was well lubricated except that one.

It is definitely not the spare tire / jack assembly. The clunking sound is definitely coming from under the car, sounds a lot like the axle or something. It's kind of a clunking / grinding noise, tough to describe, but you can definitely tell it's a rotational noise not just a random knock.

The squeal is also coming from the rear of the car and not the front so I doubt it's a belt, but I'll double check the serpentine just to make sure.

Russell
Old 04-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

make sure your lugnuts are tight and the correct ones. I had a similar noise when I first got my ws6. Took it back to the dealer right away for alignment and to find the noise (under warranty). Told me 'noise was common from rear end and aftermarket exhaust'. Noise got worse and worse. Looked at my lug nuts on the rear wheel, they were loose! One was so loose, the stud sheared off while I was grabbing second gear (on a really hard, hard run).
Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
The rotors / pads were recently replaced in hopes of fixing the problem. When I was lubing all the slide pins, the pass rear was completely dry. I mean completely! Every other slide pin was well lubricated except that one.

It is definitely not the spare tire / jack assembly. The clunking sound is definitely coming from under the car, sounds a lot like the axle or something. It's kind of a clunking / grinding noise, tough to describe, but you can definitely tell it's a rotational noise not just a random knock.

The squeal is also coming from the rear of the car and not the front so I doubt it's a belt, but I'll double check the serpentine just to make sure.

Russell
Ah yeah if the squeal is coming from the back of the car, I doubt its a belt.

But the other problem...I was having issues with one of my calipers and had a similar noise. Turns out one of the pins was stuck and the caliper wasn't moving.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A stuck caliper *could* be a problem, but I double checked all the calipers prior to installing the wheels and they all were mobile. I also should point out that I torqued down all the bolts to spec including the lug nuts (first to 70lbs, then 100lbs in a star pattern).

I will double check the lug nuts and calipers though, just to be sure.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did some more poking around this weekend and it looks like the passenger rear axle is darkly discolored, whereas the drivers side axle is not. Also, there appears to be some grease on the passenger rear rotor, as if the brake pad were covered in grease and smeared it all over the rotor.

I think I'm going to give up and take it to a shop. I definitely want to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks for the help guys.

Russell