General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whose horn doesn't work when they want it to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so the part that has a spring on it, how does it fasten or does it just sit down in the hole? I replaced the steering wheel with a wheel that was in better shape, now the horn doesn't work. Help please!?

-SS
Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by razorclaw99
you have to press it on the horn pictures..you know, the top left and top right of the wheel..if u press it in the middle..its hard to get it to work..try that
This is it. You have to press the horn icons. There are actually two contacts in the "switch" so if you press the center of the wheel, nothing happens. You have to hit one of the two contacts on either side of the airbag.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by hotrodscrap
Ok, so the part that has a spring on it, how does it fasten or does it just sit down in the hole? I replaced the steering wheel with a wheel that was in better shape, now the horn doesn't work. Help please!?

-SS
The black pins on the sleeve with the horn wire lock in to a catch in the white sleeve inside the column. This catch brakes easy, especially if the wire is pulled out of the socket and not twisted out. If the sleeve won't catch, you'll need to replace the turn signal cam, which has a new socket molded in to it.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, these parts are available at parts stores like Oreilly's? I'll need to buy the sleeve or a new wire w/ sleeve assembly?

-SS
Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by hotrodscrap
Thanks, these parts are available at parts stores like Oreilly's? I'll need to buy the sleeve or a new wire w/ sleeve assembly?

-SS
Yes. Same part as discussed in this thread. If you've never done this before, you'll need special tools to pull the steering wheel and compress the lock plate. (Hint - use tape to mark the position of the steering wheel before you pull it.)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ot-spring.html