General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear end fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nytmare1
Here's my newb question of the week. Where's the pinion seal and how hard is to change?
Here is a pretty good link that shows where it is. Note, this is a generic diagram, but is essentially accurate.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Personally, I would not attempt it unless it was leaking or I was installing a new gear.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by nytmare1
Here's my newb question of the week. Where's the pinion seal and how hard is to change?
The driveshaft comes from the output shaft of the trans, to the diff. The yoke is where the driveshaft meets up with the diff. The yoke is bolted to the pinion with a nut and a crush washer.

The yoke is outside of the dif., the pinion is inside. The Pinion seal is located between the two, to keep the fluid in the diff. where it belongs.

These cars are notorious for pinion seal leaks. Especially once they are lowered, because the pinion angle changes with suspension changes etc. Even from the factory they are never 100%.

So to change that seal, you need to pull the driveshaft, and loosen the nut holding the yoke to the pinion. Now, once this is all disassembled, you need remove, and re-install the pinion seal. You'll likely need a proper sized socket, or ideally the correct seal installer to press this into the housing. You need to set the pinion up now.... This is done using shims, to achieve correct depth, and wear pattern on the ring gear. A crush washer is used as well when tightening the nut on the pinion. So you'll need a torque wrench, as well as a dial indicator for setting up the rear properly.

I just got home, and I'm fairly intoxicated LOL. BUT, this should give you an idea of the process, and a break down of the parts.. I'd seriously recommend leaving this to a good local shop. It's not all that hard to do, but it is time consuming, and it does necessitate a few special tools.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:44 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Here is a pretty good link that shows where it is. Note, this is a generic diagram, but is essentially accurate.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Personally, I would not attempt it unless it was leaking or I was installing a new gear.
Yep, LOL that was way easier... It seriously took me like 10 minutes to type and proof read that
Old 05-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's more info on it in the Rear End FAQ and on Keliente's site as well.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
You're incorrect. I get RoyalM Purple from the Dollar Tree all the time.
......... Do you get your fake oakleys(Fakely's) and your Nigh-kees(with a Swish instead of a Swoosh) there also? RoyalM Purple
I'm sorry, but I don't think the following link will hurt our sponsors.
$1 Store
Old 05-12-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002
......... Do you get your fake oakleys(Fakely's) and your Nigh-kees(with a Swish instead of a Swoosh) there also? RoyalM Purple
I'm sorry, but I don't think the following link will hurt our sponsors.
$1 Store
Old 05-12-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

koolaid_kid, BAD *** TA WS6 & SteveS: Thanks for the links and comments. I have an aftermarket rear end cover that was leaking at the bottom ('cause of a bad bolt). I recently took it off, cleaned it up and buttoned it back up with a gasket and RTV. Now, I'm getting a leak in a different location (slightly forward of the original leak) and I think it may be due to too much fluid. I thought I remembered putting in enough fluid that it dripped out of the filler hole (roughly two bottles of Mobile 1, 75w90). Well, after putting in 2 3/4 bottles of fluid, I figured I must have been mistaken. The 2 3/4 bottles of fluid is still in there 'cause a tech I talked with said that over-filling isn't bad for the rear end. I guess that maybe he was incorrect?

Thanks again,
Marc

Quick Reply: Rear end fluid change