General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main seal leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear main seal leaking?

There is an oil leak under my car somewhere. it doesn't drip but i noticed the bottom of my tranny and the crossmember as well as the oil pan were all covered in oil! would a leaking rear main seal cause this? what would? i checked my oil level and it's fine as well as the tranny fluid. what did i break!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power Steering fluid??? I know the pumps aren't the best in the world and mine has leaked from time to time. Mine was the coming out of the line on the bottom of the reservior and doing the same thing what you described.

Last edited by DVS99TRANS; 07-07-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-08-2007, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

i will def check that tomorrow, since i was flooring it on a turn recently and smoke was coming from the power steering reservoir! what is up with that thing lately, sheesh!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

I am having the same issue with mine. The power steering fluid keeps leaking and I am also experiancing a leak that may be from my rear main seal. This oil leak began after I Seafoamed my car and changed my oil. I am hoping that I just didn't tighten my oil filter enough and it is not my rear main seal. But why does the power steering fliud leak? Does the O-ring go bad after a few years?
I'm not ing, just having the same issues with my car.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

we're having the same problems. who's got answers!
Old 07-09-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

today i was turning left and had to stop immediately for a red light and when i let off the gas i heard this loud clunk from the rear! i had the wheel turned just a little bit.

if i were flooring it and turning as well (not sharp turn, just slightly) would that bend a driveshaft or cause my power steering to freak out? bc i did that the other day.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

My problems all began when I went to a road course race track (Mid-America Motorplex in Glenwood, IA). I went there on last Friday, the 6th of JULY. My friend was in the bleachers. He said that it was smoking only when I got to the top of a gear, and then when I let off the throttle, the smoke stopped. On the Monday prior, I Seafoamed my car. Everything listed in the sticky, I did. I changed my oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and even did some 'spirited driving' . As I was tightening my oil filter, my dad came out to say hi (I was home on leave), and I lost track of what I was doing. Using a K&N oil filter, I just decided to use the 1 inch hex nut and tighten it down. Then I thought it might be too tight, so I backed it off some. I did check to ensure that I did not leave part of the seal from the old filter on the car. I think this may be the problem, that I just didn't tighten the oil filter enough. Only problem is that I am deploying soon, and I put the car in storage in Nebraska, while I am stationed in Lousiana (where I am now), so I guess that I'll have to wait until 2009 to find out what is up with my car.

Now the issue with the power steering. Who else is having this leaking problem and why is this occuring? It had been spraying out the cap all over the engine bay and on the hood. Should I just replace the O-ring, or is there an external radiatior that I need to get. I plan to do autocross and road course, so will the power steering fluid continue to overheat? It even leaks out the cap when just driving around town.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do from time to time, but doesn't spray my all over my engine bay, hey that rhymed!!! I would say double up on the gasket some how or get a new power steering reservior cap. I know from the oil bypass just above the oil filter leaks also on mine from time to time because of the header install. This is just what I've experienced. I'm just not to concerned with mine because a new motor isn't going to be to far away for me. But to stop the leak at the bottom of the reservior, i removed the line under it. Be careful, the alternater is directly under it if you do. Basically just wiped it clean and inspected the line. Seemed good so popped it on and put the clamp back. Don't know if this is what you any one is experiencing, but trying to help
Old 07-10-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

i think i figured out where that leak was coming from. there is a white tube coming from the rear of the motor drivers side and it wraps around behind the motor and connects to another black pipe. well, that was leaking so i put some RTV and let it sit. now it doesn't leak anymore! woo woo!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kaos_
i think i figured out where that leak was coming from. there is a white tube coming from the rear of the motor drivers side and it wraps around behind the motor and connects to another black pipe. well, that was leaking so i put some RTV and let it sit. now it doesn't leak anymore! woo woo!
I belive you are speaking of your PCV line.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

found out the leak was from my drivers valve cover gasket. doh!