General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt Tensioner Pulley...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Just take both your belts off and turn everything. You've already replaced the main tensioner pulley, so you can bypass that. Check the main drivebelt idler pulley, then the a/c tensioner and idler. Pretty easy to do, just turn them all by hand with the belt removed. You should be able to tell which one is making the noise pretty easily.

Also, you don't really have to replace the pulley. You can just pop the dust cover and regrease the bearings in a couple of minutes. I made a thread about it a while back, if search is working right now.
Did that today when I got off work, and they all turned with ease... The sound is coming from inside the main drive assembly (not the pulley). I don't understand how thats possible though b/c nothing inside there moves...or at least I don't think...

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I replace the whole main drive assembly...
Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck, but I doubt it's the tensioner itself if that's what you're referring to. If it's not one of the tensioner or idler pullies, really the only thing left is one of your accessories.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

double check the a/c tensioner b/c a while back I would get the same annoying squeak and I luckily needed to get my a/c replaced so I did and the squeak has been gone for quite a while now.

Does the squeak start as soon as your car is on or after it warms up, etc.??

GM service tech stated the squeak was coming from the compressor itself and I just bought a brand new one with my warranty. I still payed 500+ out my pocket for it. ;(

GL
Old 07-22-2007, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
double check the a/c tensioner b/c a while back I would get the same annoying squeak and I luckily needed to get my a/c replaced so I did and the squeak has been gone for quite a while now.

Does the squeak start as soon as your car is on or after it warms up, etc.??

GM service tech stated the squeak was coming from the compressor itself and I just bought a brand new one with my warranty. I still payed 500+ out my pocket for it. ;(

GL

I'll do that. The main assembly tensioner didn't arrive yesterday so I'll look around some more today.

The squeak starts as soon as I cut the car on. The crazy thing is, I drove a lot yesterday and the squeak went away and wasn't so bad this morning when I had to move my car for someone to leave. I'm about as clueless as I can be at the moment.

On a side note, and this really has nothing to do with my problem, but someone told me to put soap on the bottom of the belt to stop it from slipping if it ever did, just curious if anyone has ever tried that before...
Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by idrivefast22
I'll do that. The main assembly tensioner didn't arrive yesterday so I'll look around some more today.

The squeak starts as soon as I cut the car on. The crazy thing is, I drove a lot yesterday and the squeak went away and wasn't so bad this morning when I had to move my car for someone to leave. I'm about as clueless as I can be at the moment.

On a side note, and this really has nothing to do with my problem, but someone told me to put soap on the bottom of the belt to stop it from slipping if it ever did, just curious if anyone has ever tried that before...

how's it going with the Tensioner? mine just started to sqeal last night after i replaced my power steering pump and reservoir. luckily there was an LS1 tech meet last night too and they said i have to replaced the whole belt tensioner assembly.. did u do that? did it go away? if i rebuild it and grease it up, should the sound go away?

also, mine sounds exactly like yours on a cold start. i didnt try it with the a/c on tho. for some reason, after the car warms up it goes away.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Teching In

i had the same problem when i changed my powersteering pump in when i put everything back together it was squeling real bad i changed my idler pulley on the alt. bracket in that wasnt eve the problem it was the belt....
Old 12-17-2007, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28natem
i had the same problem when i changed my powersteering pump in when i put everything back together it was squeling real bad i changed my idler pulley on the alt. bracket in that wasnt eve the problem it was the belt....
really? my belt is new tho. just replaced it about a month ago... so i dont think thats the problem for me. funny thing is, it starts to squeak when i turn too.. im hoping its not the new power steering pump i bought.
i guess ill start with spinning all the pullies and what ever else the belt is connected too to see if any of them are restricted, and work from there...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Teching In

_____

Last edited by Arrison24; 01-25-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Belt Tensioner Pulley...