General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt Tensioner Pulley...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Tensioner Pulley...Now with Vids...

my car has been squeeling and I know its coming from the belt tensioner pulley area. My question is, do I need the tensioner pulley for the main drive or the tensioner pulley for Serpentine... when I went to Auto Zone and asked for the belt tensioner pulley, both of those came up. They didn't have them in stock so I couldn't compare them there.
From what I've found online, they don't look any different. But I don't want to take it off, find out its the wrong one and have to put the original one back on, then go get the other one and do it all over again. Figured I'd try buying the pulley alone before buying the whole assembly. My belts are fine, they've been replaced already and don't seem to be slipping. I've tried belt dressing, and sprayed brake cleaner (old trick I was told to try) and that area still squeels.

Last edited by idrivefast22; 07-20-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Moving to General Maintenance...
Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i remember seeing someone taking the pulleys off and greasing them, which fixed all of their problems.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are two tensioners, both are serpentine, one is for the ac and one for the drive belt. it sounds like you need the tensioner for the drive belt.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

well I replaced the pulley, and that wasn't the problem. So I put the stock one back on and ordered the whole belt tensioner assembly...only problem is, this is the part I need. Sorry for the size...I copied the pic from someone else and just circled what I needed...

This is what Auto Zone has...

http://autozone.com/R,APP1024326/veh...ductDetail.htm

they don't match up to me. The one on my car doesn't have a hole for a bolt unless it is covered up under a plate somehow. The one from auto zone has a place for a bolt as you can clearly see...I know there isn't a hole for a bolt b/c I didn't see one when I took my stock pulley off. Also, how am I suppose to get the belt tensioner off, if I can't get to where the bolt is? I've searched this topic, and have found no results. So don't start flaming me with a search thread...thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sroach20
there are two tensioners, both are serpentine, one is for the ac and one for the drive belt. it sounds like you need the tensioner for the drive belt.

I just realized I needed this one, I think ...hell i'm confused...

it just doesn't look EXACTLY the same in the pictures...
Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

its the one with the two bolt holes.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

its the one with the two bolt holes.

so that one? gotta be sure man. Gotta run back to Autozone before they close at 9 if so and order that one instead...
Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

just pop your hood and look. the tensioner for the main belt is at the water pump and its held on with two bolts. the ac tensioner has one bolt and is at the bottom.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

just pop your hood and look. the tensioner for the main belt is at the water pump and its held on with two bolts. the ac tensioner has one bolt and is at the bottom.
Already did. The more I look at the main drive, the more it looked the same. Idk wtf I was thinking . But yea, got the part switched out. Ordered the main drive assembly. Waiting for it to arrive so I don't have to listen to the car squeel anymore . I'd delete this whole entire thread just because I felt like a complete idiot trying to figure this out, but i'll leave it for future "newbs"... Thanks for the help guys
Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Hope thats the one where the squeak was really coming from.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i remember someone having this same issue. they bought a new one and it squealed again after 1000 miles or so. then they decided to take the pulley off and grease the inside of it and have not had a problem since. just a suggestion.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

I'll give the greasing thing a try. Although I really believe the squeaking is coming from the housing of the bearings. Might try to take the main drive assembly off and grease up the bearings before I put the new one on...I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Alright so I took the stock belt tensioner pulley assembly off and greased everything up and it didn't solve the problem. So I really don't know WHAT exactly could have gone bad on the main drive assembly to make it squeel the way it does. I got a video of it, and how it doesn't squeel so bad when the AC is on, so i'll post that later tonight once I get cleaned up, etc...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess you know 100% which pulley is squealing?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

could put some lube on each, one by one. if it stops squeling right away you know for sure which one it is.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

you sure it's not the ac tensioner? that was the problem with mine...and it sounded like the main tensioner too....
Old 07-20-2007, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cals400ex
i guess you know 100% which pulley is squealing?

99% sure...

Originally Posted by Grimes
you sure it's not the ac tensioner? that was the problem with mine...and it sounded like the main tensioner too....
Could possibly be. Me and my buddy looked at it again yesterday and the sound was coming from the main tensioner. Like its obvious its not coming from anything else so I don't know.

Later yesterday afternoon I rode down to store and met up with some friends and when I was pulling out of my house it didn't squeel until as soon as I hit 1500 RPM's. But then once I hit 2000 rpms it stopped and didn't squeel all the way to the store, even when I had to stop at lights and go again, it never squeeled all the way there.
But yea at the store, this guy with a ragged out fox body mustang 5.0 comes by like 6 times (no joke) revving his engine and crap and asked to run so I did. (I think you all know how that went...) ok back to my problem...

Once again, when I hit 1500 rpms it squeeled and stopped at 2000 again. Even when I ran the mustang, it didn't squeel at all. Heck all the way home from the store it didn't even chirp. But when I had to run to my grandparent's house later last night, it started back again, except its actling like it did before I greased everything and its squeeling like crazy, from idle, all the way to 6500, it just squeels constantly...

heres 2 videos, one without the ac, and one with the ac being turned on. These were recorded after I greased everything up. I'm sick and horse so I sound funny in the vid. but yea, enjoy...

without a/c...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWU36hny-EE

with a/c...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHrcr2B-91A
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

so on the way to the blue print shop about 30 minutes ago, it squeeled all the way there. I left the car running while I was inside, and on the way back, it didn't squeel anymore...
Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just take both your belts off and turn everything. You've already replaced the main tensioner pulley, so you can bypass that. Check the main drivebelt idler pulley, then the a/c tensioner and idler. Pretty easy to do, just turn them all by hand with the belt removed. You should be able to tell which one is making the noise pretty easily.

Also, you don't really have to replace the pulley. You can just pop the dust cover and regrease the bearings in a couple of minutes. I made a thread about it a while back, if search is working right now.

Quick Reply: Belt Tensioner Pulley...