General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car stumbeling when coasting

Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question car stumbeling when coasting

hey guys my car is acting wierd and i need some help. well my car seems to be stumbleing when im coasting. i cleaned out my tb and i have a new fuel filter and i cleaned my maf. car runs perfect wot but there just that stumble,
the car feels like it pulls back slightly.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

any one?????????????????????????
Old 09-03-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Are you talking about when you let off the gas going at highway speeds? If thats the case, this is normal in A4 cars. If I remember correctly, this is the engine is cutting off fuel to make the car slow down.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

what speeds and RPM's is this at? Mine does it anywhere below 30mph and even sometimes when I'm going faster, usually when it's running at 1500RPM or lower. then again it's an M6 so it is probably different than your scenario
Old 09-03-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does the exact same thing but it usually happens when im on the highway going about 65 or 70 mph. Yeah it feels like the car is jerking. But if anyone finds out what is causing that i would really like to know.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

well the car is an a4. it does it at low speeds under 40. i always wondered why the car seems to slow down on the freeway when i let off the gas so now i know.
i took my tb apart a few days ago and cleaned it out. my aic sensor was very dirty it had a lot of carbon on it and i used tb and intake cleaner on it and it cleaned up good.
i unpluged both the tps and aic sensor's and turned the key on then turned off the key and pluged them in and cranked the car and it realy helped the idle and made the car run smother. the problem i was haveing seems to of went away so you guys shoud try it. wile your at it also clean you maf with the maf cleaner they have at the parts store. for about 10 buck's its worth it for the 2 cans of cleaner's to make the car run better. i guess i consider it matenence.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cleaning the TB may have been part of it but what you and everyone else here describe sounds like DFCO.. Deceleration Fuel Cut Off. ITs part of the factory tune.. basically the car cuts almost all fuel when you coast without touching the brake or gas. When it happens the car tends to pop and sputter and jerk.. the sputtering will be louder depending on what exhaust setup if on there. It is on both M6 and A4 cars as well.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

no **** thats good to know. will having a tune done stop this?
it dont bother me knowing that its suposed to do that lol. but my car dont make and noise it just feel's like a very small missfire.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah you can have it tuned out easily. Sputtering and noise depends on the exhaust.. when I had stock manifolds and cats I never really noticed much noise but could feel it. now with LT's, no cats, and duals it sputters and sometimes pops loudly.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah mine does the same thing. It will pull back real hard when I let off the gas on the highway and when i give it gas it will pop then sound normal again. Glad thats not just me.

Search this Thread