General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

REDUCED ENGINE POWER message

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REDUCED ENGINE POWER message

i just had a new sterio and alarm install and im gettin a reduced engine power message the stereo has 1500wts so it drawing hellacious power i did a google search on the issue and all i found is issues with loose ground wires and voltage jumping well it could be both my volt meter dances alittle bit and im sure the idiot that installed all this forgot to tighten the ground wires

my question is does any one know of the direct problem maybe this thing cripples the vehicle to a stand still its dangerous i have a 04 silverado 1500 LS with a 04 6.0 litre LQ4 from a H2
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your alternator big enough? 1500W with 12V is 125A. Now of course you aren't pulling that all the time I'm sure but still with something of that capacity I'm sure you are pulling quite a bit now. If you turn the stereo system off does it clear up?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Launching!

get a upgraded alternator and additional battery.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

did this happen immediately after the install?.... who did the install... you , a shop.... sounds like the alarm was tapped into a wrong wire... cant see a stereo causing the issue regardless of watts.... 1500 would be a peek draw not a nominal draw
Old 10-01-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Your alternator big enough? 1500W with 12V is 125A. Now of course you aren't pulling that all the time I'm sure but still with something of that capacity I'm sure you are pulling quite a bit now. If you turn the stereo system off does it clear up?
yes it doesnt do it when the stereo is off but it was doing it with it on but muted too so there was no demand on the amp i even watched to volt meter and it was steady at 14vts
Old 10-01-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by b.lee
get a upgraded alternator and additional battery.
i think that may be the answer but where do u find such an item
Old 10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by greenherb
did this happen immediately after the install?.... who did the install... you , a shop.... sounds like the alarm was tapped into a wrong wire... cant see a stereo causing the issue regardless of watts.... 1500 would be a peek draw not a nominal draw
yes there was no previous problem before the install a shop installed it. it did fine today but i was not blasting the stereo either
Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My dad had the reduced power come on his suburban a few months ago. I read a TSB saying too low voltage will trigger it. They kept trying to sell him a new battery but I would test it and it passed. One dealership said they updated the pcm and the one that fixed it, after failing the first time, replaced a sensor. My mind just went blank, sorry.... sounds like its the voltage draw in your case though