General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mixed Green Coolant and DEX-COOL in my car! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i would say to do is just drain out all coolant from lower hose fill entire cooling system with just distiled water run for a few minutes with heat on then drain it out to get a true flush. then just make up your mind on what you want to run weather it be geen dex or the yellow universal
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
It does mean a lot when Japanese car companies will void your warranty for EVER putting Dexcool in your car. Dexcool is absolute junk, and nearly EVERY mechanic will agree with me.

Education is key to understanding why Dexcool has so many problems. I strongly suggest reading this article, as it teaches you why Dexcool is frowned upon so much by good mechanics.

Dexcool is trash. My poor water pump that didn't even last 30,000 miles is proof of that.
DEATHCOOL < GREEN STUFF
Old 10-12-2007, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Switching to green was the best thing I could have done my car runs ice cold I have never met someone with a ls1 that's keeps its cool like mine in stop and go traffic on a hot day it will sit at the quarter mark beside that it will stay below it never ran that cool or good with the oranje junk death cool green is the way to go
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Teching In

yup i mix my bros ls1 with a gal of green prestone!!!!!! damn the 160 stat was good for like 1 hour of driving then all of a sudden it went over 210 then i shut the engine and then it was ok just that the 160 thermostat stayed at 210 now. drained it put new red dexcool and good to go.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

thats how i lost my monte carlo... idiot mechanic
Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW this thread got more BS in it than a farmers pasture!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Dex-cool

I do not understand why I see so many complaints about dex-cool unless it's an issue with the brand or someone has mixed another coolant with it.

I have 175,xxx and have only had dex-cool since GM factory. I have only topped it off with prestone extended life dex-cool and it has never caused an issue with my Grand Am. This week I am getting new radiator hoses as I have found one with a pinhole leak for the first time and it is getting soft. It has performed well over the years and I have only taken it to limited service lube shops that do not have coolants and I only had to top it off a couple times since my last coolant change more than 5 years ago. It has never overheated but after having a shop recently change the coolant the temp guage started getting higher than normal and I coincidentally was pulling it into a shop to have them check the overflow leakage. They pointed out my reservoir looked like it had green coolant in it. The leakage started after going to a local GMD for an oil change. A few days afterwards I noticed my break lights were not working and returned. My receipt says they rewired and checked fluids. They likely topped off the new extended life prestone dex-cool that had been filled by another shop. It had previously been put thru the test while driving about 2+hrs on interstate then on gravel roads and sitting and idling in Amish store area. After the coolant change and before ever going back to the GMD it performed normally as it always had at that point. I had also confirmed at another shop I had no fluid leaking of any kind the day after having the coolant refilled. It performed well afterwards until going back to the GMD and their so called coincidental jinxes got hold of my car. I returned to the GMD because my break lights were out and it was not due to bulbs or fuses. Then all of a sudden I had overflow leaking but I was not sure what it was and returned again, but while there because I questioned them about why my car had been running good until I came to them and now it has issues. Before I even left they had my shift lock engaged so when I got in it I could not drive off. So I went back in and told them and the young man at the desk got back into the car and started jerking the shifter and stomping on the break until I told him to stop, but they refused to fix what they did. So I did a mechanics go around and started it in neutral then shifted and drove home with the shift lock on. After checking out my car I discovered they also did something to make the break lights not work again and I returned the next day. The owner was there so they were on their best behavior and they fixed the shift lock issue, but sent me back to the shop I just bought the break light switch from because the guy broke the new break light switch plunger. They broke it, they should have fixed it. I returned to the other shop and they said they put my original BL switch in and they got my break lights working again. When I happened to stop at the other shop regarding the coolant I had only driven about 45 minutes and they simply burped the car and lots of fluid released under the car. I have had no problems with the coolant since, but they did point out the reservoir had a green cast as if it had green coolant in it, so I wonder if it burped out something the GMD topped my coolant off with because the reservoir was it's original color after the burp except at the overflow tube connector. Now I wonder if they rewired for no reason and it cost almost $300. The MORAL of this story, you must be able to trust who services your car.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Compared to GREEN coolant....DexCool is complete crap. Dexcool is ok if you have a 100% perfectly sealed system and nothing is getting into the system like power steering fluid. Leaks with radiator caps are very common........

GREEN absolutely runs a tad bit cooler and its absolutely much cleaner to deal with.

My Dexcool was very clean for 4 straight years until I put my 436ci stroker in.......But when I went GREEN it ran a little cooler and was just extremely clean. Dexcool is nasty brown ****. Wish I would have switched years earlier.

But Dexcool is fine too......I guess.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

whyyyy did we dig up an 11 year old thread to make that statement?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,665 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Time to put this one to bed. It's old, and filled with plenty of BS.

There is NOTHING wrong with Dexcool in an LS1. NOTHING. If you maintain the system properly (follow recommended change intervals), don't allow large amounts of air to mix in (e.g. attend to any leaks), don't mix it with other coolant types, and don't mix it with dirty/questionable water, then you won't have any undue problems. And those same rules are true for the green stuff - there is no antifreeze in the world that will be "just fine" unless you maintain the cooling system properly.

Having said that, all of the Dexcool hate mostly originates from certain engine families which had gaskets that did not play well with Dexcool. This does NOT apply to the LS1 at all. Period.

FWIW, my '98 has had nothing but Dexcool and distilled water (changed on proper intervals) in its cooling system for the last 20 years, and every single cooling system component is 100% original and operating properly. The radiator still looks nice and clean every time I change the coolant.

Quick Reply: Mixed Green Coolant and DEX-COOL in my car! HELP!