General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car tries to start w/o key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car tries to start w/o key in ignition

So I was going to leave Blockbuster Saturday and go home and watch Saw 3. I start up the car and it sounds horrible, like its still trying to start itself. So I turn the car off and sure enough it is trying to start itself. With my key out of the ignition the car is winding away trying to fire off. Put the key back in it and clicked it forward once, fires right up. Keeps trying to start itself though. So I walked over to the Mr Tire to get a wrench to pull my battery terminal so I can stop all of this nonsense and sure enough when I get back something burnt up and blew my 50A ignition fuse. So now the car is sitting in the shop after I had it towed away. Any information as to what this could be or what kind of wallet damage I'm going to look at. I don't have the time to work on the car myself right now so to get it back on the road I'm kind of at the shop's mercy. Didn't get a chance to ohm out the starter terminals and the wiring so I don't know whats going on there, but I do know I need a dead short to trip a 50A fuse. Ideas, questions, comments?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same exact thing happen to me... hard to explain but there are 3 wires that are really close to together on the solenoid. they are all mounted onto the solenoids plastic cap. on mine the plastic cracked into pieces and allowed the tires to touch and engage the starter all by itself. only thing to do is take the starter down and check or replace it.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

Makes sense to me. Hopefully this shop won't dick me around and should be pretty quick and hassle free.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

The starter solenoid locked up in the start position.
Happens all the time on my old ford truck, I think the solenoid is located on the starter in the F body. Too bad its not on the fender wall like my old truck.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Same thing happened to me and I was freakin out cuz it was crankin itself up and smoke comin from the starter and ****! It ended up being that the battery had gone bad. I have a remote start alarm on it and it's brain was trying to start the car to recharge the battery. I even ended up with a bloody forehead since I hit myself with the door after slipping(while panicking) since I was at the carwash.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Starter relay failed closed and caused the starter to blow up. [\close thread]

Quick Reply: Car tries to start w/o key in ignition