General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gut Cats!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a different note, I got busted for loud Exhaust here in IL. At the time I had my stock exhaust with LM1. I tried to fight it at the police station(only 20.00) but still I tried. I was shown a paragraph that lists the law for Vehicle exaust. Vehicle Mufflers are not be changed/modified to increase exhaust note from Factory setup. So they got me there however that law is so messed up because motorcycles can be just as loud or louder than any car with a cut-out for cat back and that is ok for IL.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

gut the cat and sell the insides of the cat!!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

my god whoopdie ****** doo how many cops do you know are going to pull you over jack up your car pull your y pipe off and look to see if its got the **** in there...NONE!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to find out if your car falls under the GM campaign to replace faulty cats before you do anything. GM has issued extended warranty to 10yr/100(might be 120)k miles on LS1 cars.

It is possible you didn't get the letter if your car has changed ownership a few times and GM doesn't know where to send any notice.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by todddchi
Try to find out if your car falls under the GM campaign to replace faulty cats before you do anything. GM has issued extended warranty to 10yr/100(might be 120)k miles on LS1 cars.

It is possible you didn't get the letter if your car has changed ownership a few times and GM doesn't know where to send any notice.
This has to be the best piece of advice posted in this thread!

I forgot about GM's extended camaign on the cats for our f-bodies. It's definetly worth checking into.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Unbelievable! My point is still missed.

It does not matter if I have a cut-out,
It does not matter if I have long tubes,
It does not matter if I speed,
It does not matter if I live in NY,
It does not matter what I had for breakfast,
It does not matter what I or anyone does.

It doesn't change the simple fact that anyone removing the catalytic converts from their car is violating local & federal laws. Tuning or not, a visual inpsection at any dealership, in NY and many other states will fail the inspection.

My advice in this thread is to educate the new poster against this.

I see so many jumping on me becuase of this - isn't anyone else on this message board that might actually agree with me?
i understand that it is illegal not arguing with that. but there is NO way that a visual inspection of the outside of the catalitic converter is going to reveal anything

now if by visual inspection you mean the sniffer test then i agree with you.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
i understand that it is illegal not arguing with that. but there is NO way that a visual inspection of the outside of the catalitic converter is going to reveal anything
If one was to gut their cats, which means removing them and welding in some straight pipes or something...there is EVERY way that a visual inspection will fail a visual test. Simply because there is no catalytic converter to visually inspect.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Guys, give up on M02H. He obviously feels it is his duty to be the Internet police. Or perhaps he believes that no one but himself understands smog laws, who the blazes knows.
AFAIAC, any poster should take Internet advice as just that: advice. Be intelligent and make your own decisions, and posters like M02H won't have a forum to preach at.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
If one was to gut their cats, which means removing them and welding in some straight pipes or something...
Someone else will probabaly correct you before I even finish typing this, but "gutting" the cats refers to taking, literally, the guts (honeycomb stuff) out of the cat with a hammer/chisel/what have you, leaving a hollow shell that is indistinguishable from a working cat to anyone looking at the exhaust system. The rear O2 sensors will know the difference, but the naked eye won't.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have read thru this thread and realize that the original poster has already made up his mind. But the comments by Michael02....putting on longtubes and moving the location of the cats is illegal...regardless of passing a sniffer test or not. I am not saying don't do them, I have a set on my car, but before you start saying its illegal to gut cats and one shouldn't break the laws or make excuses for doing it...please realize you are doing the same, just because you can pass a visual inspection doesn't make your setup anymore legal than someone who has gutted their cats or replaced it with an ORY.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-25-2007, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

its just funny that he got OWNED.... he on here talking about not breaking the law an someone came in and was like . HEY your breaking the law too... just made me laugh
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bzettler83
its just funny that he got OWNED.... he on here talking about not breaking the law an someone came in and was like . HEY your breaking the law too... just made me laugh
Originally Posted by bzettler83
You keep missing THE point! It doesn't matter if I am breaking laws or not. My advice for others is not to do it. trying to justify bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior...that doesnt cut it.

I mis-understood about 'gutting the cats', taking the insides out vs. removing them. In that case, yes, your right, a visual inspection would indeed pass.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

im glad i live in texas!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

how do you not understand "gutting" a cat. he did not say "removing" them. i actually sat here and read this whole thread because of all the dumb things that were said. its very contradicting that m02h said not to break the law but by the way he has done so himself. is this a case of 'do as i say not as i do'? this thread was a prime example of hypocrisy.

im not saying remove them or gut them. what reason would you have to do so anyway? its not a drag car with the modifications that would benefit from the extra exhaust flow so i suggest just replacing them.

that response right there would have saved a ton of time =)
Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

thread was raised from the dead
Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 406malibu
thread was raised from the dead
Where it belonged...