General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gut Cats!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gut Cats!! Help

new here and my cat is bad, was wondering if i could just gut it, instead of replacing. how do u gut it out? thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove it and fail local state inpections & federal law.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^ only if you dont get a tune or they put the car to the sniffer. If you do gut the cats do both of them (even flow) and make sure to get a tune other wise your car will be throwing codes.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
^ only if you dont get a tune or they put the car to the sniffer. If you do gut the cats do both of them (even flow) and make sure to get a tune other wise your car will be throwing codes.
nope, it'll still be illegal.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
nope, it'll still be illegal.
As long as your car isnt throwing codes they will never know. I think Im the only one with cats out of all my car friends, who all pass emissions.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

no matter how you (or they) try to justify it - it'll still be illegal. federal law.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

no matter how you (or they) try to justify it - it'll still be illegal. federal law.
So what, so's speeding (and 99.9999% of the people in the USA have violated a speed limit at one time or another)
OP you can gut the cats with a screwdriver and a big hammer, just beat the screwdriver into the ceramic material and break it up, or if you can afford it get an ORY that bolts to the manifolds (but if you're going to do that, might want to think about headers and an ORY) either way you'll need a tune to turn off the SES light
Old 10-20-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont understand the consistent push back I always read and get on this topic.

Speeding or not, running a red right or not, weaving in and out of traffic...it doesnt matter.
Once again, your trying to justify it.
Federal Law states cats are required. To remove them violates the law, peroid.
Fines, large fines in place for removing them.

Gut the cats if you want...just KNOW what you are getting into, and dont wine about it on here later when you have a hard time getting your car inspected or fined.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

I dont understand the consistent push back I always read and get on this topic.

Speeding or not, running a red right or not, weaving in and out of traffic...it doesnt matter.
Once again, your trying to justify it.
Federal Law states cats are required. To remove them violates the law, peroid.
Fines, large fines in place for removing them.

Gut the cats if you want...just KNOW what you are getting into, and dont wine about it on here later when you have a hard time getting your car inspected or fined.
god damn, who pissed in your cherrios?

gut the cats, get sims or a tune
Old 10-21-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

See, I still dont understand. Why are you suggesting the new guy to break state & federal laws?

The correct answer to Red98maro's question in this thread is no, you shouldn not gut your catalytic converter, it should be replaced.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

See, I still dont understand. Why are you suggesting the new guy to break state & federal laws?

The correct answer to Red98maro's question in this thread is no, you shouldn not gut your catalytic converter, it should be replaced.
Dude, stop.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Location: Way Out In The Boonies Chasin' Hill Billies, North GA

He wasn't suggesting the new guy break state & federal laws...he was simply assisting the new guy with his request to do so. Red98maro asked how to gut his cats, not whether it was legal, ethical, etc....JD_AMG was supplying him with information on what would be necessary to do this....again, no focus on legality or morality.

Just offering a third party perspective.....
Old 10-21-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

According to the Federal law Its illegal to even change a working converter even if you are replacing it for another one and its illegal to change the OEM converter for Anything other than another OEM stock replacement converter. So unless your Hawk has emissions legal shorties and stock cats you are Guilty as charged.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
According to the Federal law Its illegal to even change a working converter even if you are replacing it for another one and its illegal to change the OEM converter for Anything other than another OEM stock replacement converter. So unless your Hawk has emissions legal shorties and stock cats you are Guilty as charged.
Good point, and sure enough that link shows that the car in fact has long tube headers which are illegal because it is a violation of federal law to move the cats from their stock location.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys for all of your input, I have decided to just go ahead and put new cats on, seeing as I will already have them off, why not just replace. Again thanks guys for all of your input in a rather quick timeframe.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red98maro
Thanks guys for all of your input, I have decided to just go ahead and put new cats on, seeing as I will already have them off, why not just replace. Again thanks guys for all of your input in a rather quick timeframe.
I for one can say thats the right thing to do.

As a response to above, I don't see a connection with my running long tubes & high flow cats vs. someone else gutting their cats, and breaking federal & local laws.

I have no issues driving the Trans AM into ANY NY state inspection station for its yearly ODBII & visual inpsections...passing without a hitch year after year. Without the need to 'know someone' at the shop or ask them to look the other way.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I for one can say thats the right thing to do.

As a response to above, I don't see a connection with my running long tubes & high flow cats vs. someone else gutting their cats, and breaking federal & local laws.

I have no issues driving the Trans AM into ANY NY state inspection station for its yearly ODBII & visual inpsections...passing without a hitch year after year. Without the need to 'know someone' at the shop or ask them to look the other way.
Cutouts certainly are not legal either, but I guess that didn't stop you? Maybe NY is more strict than my state, but there is no need to "know someone". This isn't rocket science, you pull into the shop, they plug your computer in, run a scan, see no codes (tune got rid of them) and then you pass, yeah its that easy.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Cutouts certainly are not legal either, but I guess that didn't stop you?
Unbelievable! My point is still missed.

It does not matter if I have a cut-out,
It does not matter if I have long tubes,
It does not matter if I speed,
It does not matter if I live in NY,
It does not matter what I had for breakfast,
It does not matter what I or anyone does.

It doesn't change the simple fact that anyone removing the catalytic converts from their car is violating local & federal laws. Tuning or not, a visual inpsection at any dealership, in NY and many other states will fail the inspection.

My advice in this thread is to educate the new poster against this.

I see so many jumping on me becuase of this - isn't anyone else on this message board that might actually agree with me?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Unbelievable! My point is still missed.

It does not matter if I have a cut-out,
It does not matter if I have long tubes,
It does not matter if I speed,
It does not matter if I live in NY,
It does not matter what I had for breakfast,
It does not matter what I or anyone does.

It doesn't change the simple fact that anyone removing the catalytic converts from their car is violating local & federal laws. Tuning or not, a visual inpsection at any dealership, in NY and many other states will fail the inspection.

My advice in this thread is to educate the new poster against this.

I see so many jumping on me becuase of this - isn't anyone else on this message board that might actually agree with me?
dude just relax you made your point, you made your point known the origional poster made his decision so i would probably consider this thread closed no need for any pissing matches