General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Question about radiator flush/fill mishap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about radiator flush/fill mishap

Took my TA to have the radiator flushed and filled today after phoning the shop yesterday to make sure they had the right coolant and equipment.
Found out after the hoses were connected and Dex Cool went leaking, flying and gushing everywhere (two different times) that the machine had been malfunctioning the day before. Sure would've been nice to have been told that when I called.

I was told to keep an eye on the temp guage for roughly 2 weeks because GM vehicles usually develop an air bubble after being flushed and the level could drop too low. What!? Has anyone else ever heard or experienced this? I was also told the hose(s) didn't feel like it had any pressure in it after the system had been filled. Now the temp guage shows it's running a little warmer than before. I'm going to check the level in the morning just to be safe. Is there anything else I should be concerned about or keep an eye on?

Thanks in advance.
her_02ta
Old 10-31-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

You can run it up to temp with the radiator cap off and then shut off and let cool for several hours - top off as needed and do again until level doesn't drop. Watch it closely as coolant can erupt suddenly when up to operating temp. Oh, run the heater on high when doing this so that the core receives some flow.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MrEddie
You can run it up to temp with the radiator cap off and then shut off and let cool for several hours - top off as needed and do again until level doesn't drop. Watch it closely as coolant can erupt suddenly when up to operating temp. Oh, run the heater on high when doing this so that the core receives some flow.
Thanks! After cooling off a little more I decided to file a complaint with the original shop (waiting for a reply/follow-up) and have it done *the right way* at a different one. Just needed that peace of mind. Now I know for sure the old Dex Cool was completely flushed and these guys had no problem using the distilled water I brought along. And it's running at normal temp again!