General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Diagnosing P0161 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Diagnosing P0161 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction

I have a check engine light for P0161 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2). I have a 24" Oxygen Sensor Extension connecting to the 02 Sensor because of the LT's and I know that the two brown wires are the wires for the heating circuit. Could it be one of the brown wires on the Extension are not getting enough voltage to the 02 sensor? Any ideas?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The code is for the second o2 sensor, which, if you have an off road y pipe, is unnecessary. Looks like you've had your PCM tuned - head back to the tuner and have them remove the rear 02 codes. They may have missed one.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by keliente
The code is for the second o2 sensor, which, if you have an off road y pipe, is unnecessary. Looks like you've had your PCM tuned - head back to the tuner and have them remove the rear 02 codes. They may have missed one.
Its for the passenger side front O2, I had the rears deleted a while back. I thought bank 2 sensor 2 is the front passenger side I guess I made a mistake I mean bank 2 sensor 1.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

It may mean the sensor has just gone bad. Coated headers have a way of doing that!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what?!?!!? how can coated headers mess up o2s.......i have the same problem...i use the same 24'' extensions and new o2s so i really doubt that headers will mess em up... its probably the wires...too damn long..i shouldve got 1 12' and 1 24' for the drivers...but everynow and then it turns off n on
Old 11-01-2007, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 35thANNIz28
what?!?!!? how can coated headers mess up o2s.......i have the same problem...i use the same 24'' extensions and new o2s so i really doubt that headers will mess em up... its probably the wires...too damn long..i shouldve got 1 12' and 1 24' for the drivers...but everynow and then it turns off n on
I've heard before that when you first put headers on some of the coating inside I guess heats up and melts off or something along those lines and can mess up the 02 sensor. Same with me, the code shows up then goes away but its in memory with the scan tool so its always there eventhough it may not be showing the check engine light.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

If it shows up sometimes and not others, it sounds like it could be a connection problem. If I remember right, the O2 heater sensor will set the check engine light imediately, where if it is just the sensor, that's a different story. The best way to check it would be to turn on the ignition and use a DMM to probe in the Connector for that O2 heater. Find out which 2 wires are for the heater circuit. (DO NOT PROBE THE O2 DIRECTLY!) with the ignition on, you should have 12 Volts on one of the wires and 0 Volts on the other, Do not worry about the other wires. If you have 12 Volts on both wires, then your O2 is bad. If you get 12 Volts on one side, and 0 Volts on the other, then shut the car off and disconnect the O2 sensor connector. Probe the same 2 wires at the connector end and check for continuity. If it is open, the O2 is bad. If you have continuity, then the O2 is good and you have a problem with the wire to the PCM. The PCM needs to see the voltage drop to recognize that the O2 heater is working.

I may be wrong, but that's how I would check it. I've had problems with my sensors before too.
Good Luck,
Luke
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Domesticated Euro
If it shows up sometimes and not others, it sounds like it could be a connection problem. If I remember right, the O2 heater sensor will set the check engine light imediately, where if it is just the sensor, that's a different story. The best way to check it would be to turn on the ignition and use a DMM to probe in the Connector for that O2 heater. Find out which 2 wires are for the heater circuit. (DO NOT PROBE THE O2 DIRECTLY!) with the ignition on, you should have 12 Volts on one of the wires and 0 Volts on the other, Do not worry about the other wires. If you have 12 Volts on both wires, then your O2 is bad. If you get 12 Volts on one side, and 0 Volts on the other, then shut the car off and disconnect the O2 sensor connector. Probe the same 2 wires at the connector end and check for continuity. If it is open, the O2 is bad. If you have continuity, then the O2 is good and you have a problem with the wire to the PCM. The PCM needs to see the voltage drop to recognize that the O2 heater is working.

I may be wrong, but that's how I would check it. I've had problems with my sensors before too.
Good Luck,
Luke

thanks alot, Im going to try that and see what happens.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 35thANNIz28
Happens more than you might think. The new coating burns off and it fouls the o2's. Sometimes a week later, sometimes a month later...if I plan on using new o2's with coated headers, I usually run my old ones for a couple weeks first just in case.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a bank 2 sensor 1 malfuncting, and it is my PS 02 sensor going bad. I used the stock one again on that side after 73,855 miles when i did my headers. I am just going to replace the PS 02 sensor and be done.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing P0161 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction