General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery?? Starter?? Who Knows??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery?? Starter?? Who Knows??

My car hasn't been starting like normal. It studders and finally will start. I had taken my car in for a leak and new waterpump and they replaced the starter as well..... but my car is still doing the same thing. I had them check the battery and alternator and all is fine.

It doesn't happen all the time...I noticed it only doesn't want to start good when the car has been sitting for a good amount of time.

any suggestions??
Old 11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it crank normally? If so, it isn't the starter or the battery.. If it cranks fine, but then when it turns over it catches, sputters, then after a moment is fine then it is possibly your fuel pressure regulator. I was told that is what causes that when I asked about mine doing that. Basically after it sits for awhile (especially if parked facing uphill) the gas runs backwards in the lines a bit so there is a lack of fuel at the engine.

Try turning the key to on so the fuel pump kicks on, but wait a few seconds before turning the key to start. See if that helps, it does on mine.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

check the battery side posts. it is very common for them to have problems. they just push out and then you can take a wire brush to clean off the connection and just push the side post back in. they also might not be tight enough. i see it every day
Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Does it crank normally? If so, it isn't the starter or the battery.. If it cranks fine, but then when it turns over it catches, sputters, then after a moment is fine then it is possibly your fuel pressure regulator. I was told that is what causes that when I asked about mine doing that. Basically after it sits for awhile (especially if parked facing uphill) the gas runs backwards in the lines a bit so there is a lack of fuel at the engine.

Try turning the key to on so the fuel pump kicks on, but wait a few seconds before turning the key to start. See if that helps, it does on mine.
it cranks fine, but it does sputter after wards...seems like forever then starts... yes and it's does it after long periods of sitting.

So, is it okay...to just turn key on and wait a few seconds and then start it.... Does that mean everything is okay or is their a serious problem underlaying?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check whether the fuel presure at the rail, after a
long sit, has gone to zero. If so a "drooling" injector
may be filling your intake with fuel (at least, one
runner).

Have you tried starting with the pedal floored, this
is "flood clear" mode?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh it cranks fine... nevermind what i said

the check valve in the fuel pump could have went bad. hook up a fuel guage and turn on the key, then turn it off and watch too see how fast the pressure drops off
Old 11-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Check whether the fuel presure at the rail, after a
long sit, has gone to zero. If so a "drooling" injector
may be filling your intake with fuel (at least, one
runner).

Have you tried starting with the pedal floored, this
is "flood clear" mode?
No, I haven't tried that... what will that do and tell me?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

If the pressure doesn't hold for at least 30 seconds, then you either have a leaking injector, or a bad check valve in the fuel pump. This will cause hard starting after sitting for a while. Next step would be to unbolt your fuel rail and pull it up keeping the fuel injectors attached to the fuel rail, (this should only take 5 minutes). Turn on the ignition again and look to see if any injectors are leaking. If so, replace them. If not, then replace the fuel pump assembly. If the pressure does hold, then keep looking.
Good Luck