General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

quick yes or no question on manual fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default quick yes or no question on manual fan switch

do i really have to use the 1 watt resistors on the low and high speed fan wires so the ses light wont come on??? thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 02:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ae13291
do i really have to use the 1 watt resistors on the low and high speed fan wires so the ses light wont come on??? thanks
First off, resistors aren't rated in watts. They are rated in ohms. I'm not sure what you're putting in, but if it's rated in watts, it's probably a lightbulb...

I'm not sure where you got this information from, but if you plan on triggering your fans by running switched power to the fan motor, I would think twice. Those fans pull a decent amount of juice, and you'll need a switch rated for something like 20 amps. A better option is to trigger the relay which controls the fans with a ground.

Either of these methods should set DTC 77 as the PCM tries to figure out why the fans aren't responding normally. This doesn't turn on the SES light as I recall.

An even better method is to use Tunercat or a Hypertech programmer to change the fan on temp. This way your PCM is happy and your temp can stay down. Just don't set the temp too low. I know hypertech has guidelines in the manual for fan on temps. Running your fans all the time is hard on the fans and hard on your alternator.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:48 AM
TECH Resident

just buy the manual fan switch kit from one of the sponsors, it plugs right into the harness on the pass side fenderwell and has a switch to trigger them on/off. Simplest installation I've ever done and works great. Think it's 60 bucks?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

I made my own with a switch from Radio Shack and some wire. I just spliced into the wires for the fan relays. I used the resistors specified in the writeup on Shoebox and haven't had any issues with it throwing codes. One nice thing about having a switch rather than reprogramming the fans is that you can run them even when the car is off, for example to cool it down at the dragstrip after a pass. Even if I had my fans retuned I would still keep the switch in there. Just don't leave them on for too long with the car off.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula413
haven't had any issues with it throwing codes.
It doesn't set 77? Or you meant that it doesn't turn the SES light on?

I've just had bad experience with things like this. I had a car where the ignition switch was bad. I wired up a switch to the starter, but not a momentary. Worked fine until my buddy decided he needed to start the car and then couldn't figure out why the starter wouldn't disengage even after the motor was running...
Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by haacer
It doesn't set 77? Or you meant that it doesn't turn the SES light on?
The light doesn't come on and my scanner shows no codes.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Launching!

I'm glad I'm finally on the same page here. If this is the diagram everyone has been looking at from the beginning, that looks like a good way to go. I still like my fans computer controlled, but I'm sitting in traffic and not on a dragstrip.

Incidentally, I think this diagram also answers the original question.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by haacer
Incidentally, I think this diagram also answers the original question.
That picture, as it says on top, is for OBD-1 cars (95 and earlier). OBD-2 cars DO need the resistors.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Launching!

cheap easy way to control but did a make own for a beater

Quick Reply: quick yes or no question on manual fan switch