General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ran over a sidewalk and squeaking / rubbing sounds galore!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ran over a sidewalk and squeaking / rubbing sounds galore!

A couple of days ago, I ran over a sidewalk (not the best thing to do in a lower car) cause I lost control of my car and I thought I got off lucky because there wasn't much cosmetic damage to my car.

But now, I'm hearing a squeaking / metal rubbing sound coming from the front passenger side of the car (the side where I ran over the sidewalk with) as I drive. The sound gets louder and faster as I accelerate. It sounds like metal rubbing against each other. I'm guessing that something is bent and its causing it to rub against the brake disc.

My questions are ...
  • What is this mystery part that is rubbing / squeaking?
  • Has anyone had the same / similar scenario and if so, what part did you replace?
  • If there a cheap fix to fix this issue and if so, what are the steps needed?
  • Are there any aftermarket / performance parts that I can replace this part with?

Any kind of feedback will be appreciated. I just want to get rid of that damn rubbing / squeaking sound. It drives me crazy as I drive.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by benoh; 01-18-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: specifying my question
Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Launching!

First, I would stop driving this car. The damage may be more serious than you realize. Without actually doing a visual inspection you're going to have trouble determining what's going on. Take the time to jack the car up and look. While it's in the air, spin the tire and see if you can determine where the sound is coming from. Take some pictures for everyone and you may get some better help.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think the damage is more serious than I realize ... its just two parts rubbing becuase something is either bent or slightly broken.

If it was completely broken, there would be vibration while driving since a suspension part has broken loose.

But you do bring a good point about lifting the car up and checking to see what's wrong. After lifting the car on jacks, I noticed that the sound comes from spinning the brake disc. I'm guessing its the brake pads that are rubbing or something within the brake caliper that's rubbing.

My questions still remain ... anyone care to take a stab?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a stab...... brake wear warning tab. Makes the sound you are discribing.

Quick Reply: Ran over a sidewalk and squeaking / rubbing sounds galore!