General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brand new belt started sqeeking

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new belt started sqeeking

I couldn't take the old one sqeeking anymore and changed it out. It took only a few minutes. Cool. The new belt worked...for a few days. It did rain some then it sqeeked again. Usually rain sweeks go away but this new belt sounds like the old one. Im just past pissed off now. Its been days since the camaro has seen wet weather. still sqeeks. I looked around for obvious leaks and found none. maybe there is a leak that is only a mist and its slicking the belt and pulleys? anyone had this particular problem? any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

probably have a bad pulley that is the culprit
Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

tensioner is probably weak/worn out
Old 01-25-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem, but I didn't change the belt myself. This all happened before I decided to do all my own work. Anyway, I took it in, got a new belt, problem solved. For about a month. Then, it started squeaking again. So, I take it back and tell them to check the tensioner and the pulleys. They change the belt, and say the pulleys and tensioners are fine. A month later, same ****. At this point I'm pissed, and I take the car to the guy that built my '94 (who lives about 2 hours away - great drive that was...). He rips into it and tests everything (he is awesome - only bills me for labor on repairs, not for testing). Result was a slightly bent tensioner. If you know how to test for it, I suggest testing the tensioners and pulleys. If they are slightly out of alignment, it will cause the belt to wear uneavenly and squeak. Hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Awesome! I was starting to suspect it after i posted this up. Come to think of it I had to replace the tensioner on a lumina I used to have that did the same thing a few years ago. I checked one last time for fluids or residues and still found nothing so Im very sure your guys are right on it. Thanks fellas. oh... what would a tensioner run me at most auto stores?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea....get a set of tensioners...my formula did this
Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i had the same problem with my ss. Got new belt and immediately it squeeked. Thought about the tensioner as well. But I got one of the Goodyear gatorback belts and hasn't squeeked since. Have 120,000 on the original tensioner. Might just try the belt first, you can get one at Summit Racing.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Launching!

I came across a tread that suggested repacing the bearings. I'm going to take the belt off and turn the tension pulley and see if could be the bearings. If not then a new tensioner is in order. The new belt actualy lasted almost a week before the sqeeks came back. Thanks fellas.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys replacing just one tensioner or two... there are two if you don't know. I'm asking this because mine squeeks also... I'm looking at Katech's tensioner but I'm not seeing an A/C tensioner.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so the tensioner will cause a intermittent chirping? cause that is what my car does. sounds likea fing bird under the hood sometimes
Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Veteran

My squeaking is getting bad and i need to look into it
Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 AM
Launching!

My ears play tricks on me but I believe my problem lies with just the main belt tensioner. sounds like my a/c tensioner is fine. knock on wood. It'll have to wait for saturday for me. not much time off of work this week- one day week end,again .
Old 01-31-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Mine only chirped when there was a good amount of moisture around, like sawy when you washed the car or if it rained.

The pulleys on the tensioner and the a/c idler pulley have little to no grease in them. They can be serviced though simply by unbolting and using a small screwdriver to pry the seal open and then regrease the bearings with wheel bearing grease.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Cool, the other thread also mentioned it was a quick event. I really hope this fixes it cause that cash was meant for some light weight carpet. This bitch has got to lose some weight!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:28 AM
10 Second Club

i had a squeaking sound at idle, and a screech on cold startups. I put on a gatorback belt and the squeaking went away, but i still have the screech on cold starts. I am thinking it is one of the pulleys, but i have yet to find which one....
Old 02-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

UPDATE!! I had better light today and saw that i missed the residue all over the slick pulleys! felt like old radiator fluid and I am in fact losing some rad fluids just never could find where. Low rad fluid light comes on every so often. I looked at the connector bridging the two coolant lines where I did a TB bypass a while back. lines where cracked and had crap all over the ends. this is of course located above the tensioner and belt. I cleaned the pulleys the best i could and plugged the TB lines back to the Tb for now. I did take the tensioner off and spun it. didnt feel any thing out of the ordinary. The belt still had some residue on it so I'm going to give it a few days to come off and time will tell this was the source of the sweeks. If not the tensioner is so easy to change.