General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas in oil and weird gunk under the oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas in oil I think can be pretty bad for your bearings/cyl walls. I would change the oil and let the oil slowly drip out with the drainplug still barely in and look for water/coolant. If all checks out good get some fresh oil in there and filter, clean that cap, and take it for a spirited drive
Old 02-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the same thing with my 98 T/A, but not as drastic..I do drive the car on very short trips every day..My oil still looks good & I am not worried about it..I would say over a year now I have noticed it. The car doesn't use any coolant which is good.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get that too but not anywere close to that amount. But from the sounds of it you dont check stuff if your oil light is coming on.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Teching In

Looks to be your tipical blow head gasket ...... does thedip stick look the same s the oil cap ....... have fun doing a head gasket job ... fyi have the heads rebuilt while there off ( never hurts)
Old 02-17-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your oil looks similar to that or a milky color when you change it, I'd suspect head gaskets. My oil cap tends to look like that after some time and cold weather. The oil comes out looking like oil though so I don't worry too much about it. Also check your coolant to make sure nothing is mixing there.

The gas smell IS a concern as you are fouling plugs and gas smell is in the oil. I'd suspect leaky injector and would be bad for cylinder walls as previously mentioned. Since you know which plugs are fouling, do an injector swap and move those leaky injectors to the front and see if the plugs in front follow. Replace them ASAP if the problem follows or you could find yourself with a bigger repair bill.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Ooh, last time I saw that I had a blown head gasket!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the result of his short trips. If you really only do short trips where you never get to operating temp, you should change your oil more often. I wouldnt worry about it otherwise.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Ewwwwwww
Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slowmofo
someone dumped vanilla pudding in your engine
Ahahaha.
I had a similar problem driving in the humid minnesota summer, after a few thousand miles I would get a little buildup from water condensation rising to the top of the engine. Just clean it off, change your oil, and see how it looks. I moved to Arizona, and its dry, and I haven't seen a smidge of pudding under my oil cap
Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Emerald Phoenix
Yeah... Test your compression. Then you're gonna want to buy some headgaskets, radiator flush, engine flush, valve cover gaskets, plugs, oil, oil filter, and get to work changing those headgaskets.

The dire issue isn't your plugs or the fact that you're loosing compression; it's the fact that you're filling your crank-case with water, and that takes away the lubrication qualities of your oil.

In short, don't drive it anymore until you have it fixed.
+1 dude I think you need to do a compression check on the motor and the coolant system. I think you have a blown head gasket. That’s way to much water in your crank case to be just condensation.

Quick Reply: Gas in oil and weird gunk under the oil cap?