General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I've got a couple different problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I've got a couple different problems

To start it off, I've been having problems with my car going into reverse, the past couple of days. It's only when the car's warm. It's hard to put into reverse, and when it does go in, it makes a loud grind and jumps a little. I think it's most likely the clutch, but, it only does it going into reverse.

And, now, I have a second problem that just started today. The car shakes at lower rpms. Whenever I go to take off and ease out on the clutch at around 1500rpm's or so, the whole car shakes. At first, I thought it was probably because of the clutch. But, it also does it when I don't have it in gear and just rev it a little bit. Do you guys think it's a motor mount? Or what else could it be. Ideas and opinions please. It'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone at all?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe sencros for tranny problems. Shakes might be exhaust rubbing on floor pan.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by go-t
Maybe sencros for tranny problems. Shakes might be exhaust rubbing on floor pan.
I'm hoping that's all it is on both parts. But, with my luck, probably not. For the shaking, could it be a motor mount possibly?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Could be. But I had a vibration in low rpms that was my exhaust so defiantly check that first
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Could be. But I had a vibration in low rpms that was my exhaust so defiantly check that first
Alright. Hopefully that's all it is. Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to take it to my mechanic in the morning and have it all looked over. But, it's good to get some ideas first, on what it could be, to give him a few things to look at first and save time and hassle probably.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Kinda off topic but hows your work coming on chroming your stock tips
Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Kinda off topic but hows your work coming on chroming your stock tips
Horrible. lol. One of my replacements fell off going 70mph, and I was getting frustrated that the tips weren't turning out perfectly, so I gave up for now. I should've read the spray paint cans before painting. The clear coat said to put it on an hour after paint. I waited about a day and it looked horrible, and wasn't chrome or shiny at all. So, I sanded it all off, and will start painting again this week or weekend maybe. Both tips are sanded down though and don't really look too bad how they are. So, I put them back on the car, for the time being. I found a more effective way to sand them now too. A wire brush wheel on a grinder works great and takes all the crap off very quickly. Then, I used a really small wire brush wheel with a power drill to get in the spots that were a little harder to get to.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Launching!

Sweet I hope they come out better this time. I always have the same problem with the whole directions thing... Just cant seem to ever follow them.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I don't know if it really makes a difference on why they turned out bad or not. But, I used some Duplicolor High Performance clear coat that's made for wheels. It said it protected against chemicals and other stuff better, plus it was all I could find at Oreillys, so I got it instead of your average clear coat.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Launching!

If anything I think that would work the best. It probably protects against hi heat too. I guess you never know this stuff until you ask.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

I'll try it again, in the time frame it says to, and hopefully it'll turn out better. If not, I know how to sand it down again in a matter of minutes to paint for a 3rd time. lol
Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, so, I didn't have time to get to my mechanic until later on this afternoon. And I got an appt. scheduled for Friday morning. I also noticed today, that the vibration isn't just at lower rpms. It does it around 1500rpms, then doesn't do it again, or it's not very noticable again, until past 4000rpms. Then, it's quite a bit worse. I'm going to get under it tomorrow and check out to see if it's the exhaust. I'm guessing it probably is. Because, whenever I'm revving it under the hood, the engine doesn't shake at all. So, I'm thinking it has nothing to do with the engine, and that it's probably just the exhaust rattling badly against the floorboard.