General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP!!!! My car wont stay running!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
He said more current = harder to turn, not low voltage. In that sense he is right but I don't think that it is possible to draw that much from these alternators to stall out an LS1.

Whatever the reason, glad the first problem got fixed. The car overheats now without the heat on? Heat on wont' make the car overheat - unless you mean interior getting hot, not the engine.
I understand. Regardless, the fact is that none of it makes an alternator harder to turn, that's not how an alternator works.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any generator - whether it be an AC alternator or a DC dynamo - has more mechanical resistance to spin when there is a load on it. There is no way around that. This is because the greater current in the stator windings of the alternator causes a stronger opposing magnetic field.

So yes, the greater the load on the alternator, the harder it is turn it. It will take more force, more torque to spin an alternator at the same speed with a heavy electrical load than with a light load.

You can't get more energy out of an alternator without having to put more into it first
Old 03-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Enough about alternators, that horse has been beaten to death. I had a similar problem and found a plastic bag between my radiator and condenser. Hope you find the source of your misery.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Really, a plastic bag? Im gonna have to check in the morning.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

dont mean to steal the thread but i did have a question regarding your 1st problem. I had the same problem, where my car would turn off. I often have to feather the gas until i get my car moving so that it doesn't shut off. My SES code is p1416 if that helps at all. If anyone can help me out with some more info I would appreciate it, PMs would be great so that i dont hijack this thread.

I have other problems with the car too that I made a post about but nobody seems to want to respond.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/886934-let-s-play-doctor.html
Old 03-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by phillyz28
dont mean to steal the thread but i did have a question regarding your 1st problem. I had the same problem, where my car would turn off. I often have to feather the gas until i get my car moving so that it doesn't shut off. My SES code is p1416 if that helps at all. If anyone can help me out with some more info I would appreciate it, PMs would be great so that i dont hijack this thread.

I have other problems with the car too that I made a post about but nobody seems to want to respond.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886934

Your not hijacking. The site is here to help everyone.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

thanks man, so anyone have any insight?