General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Let's play doctor

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let's play doctor

I'll tell you the symptoms/problems I am having with my car and you give me your diagnosis and how to fix it.

Background:
99 z28 auto
115,000 miles
mods in sig
recently sea foamed my gas

Chief Complaint:
1. Occasionally the car runs rough and idles low. It seems like it will stall out.
(usually only for the first 5 minutes or so then it settles down and runs ok.

2. Car runs very loud (must be coming from a belt). Wondering about getting an underdrive pulley.

3. There is a high pitched noise coming from my speakers. As the rpms go up, the pitch gets louder and higher.

4. SES light and code -- Went to Autozone to have it scanned and they gave me a printout of the code. It came back with the following:
Troubleshooting p1416 OEM Brand : General Motors
Definition: air system bank 2 fault
Explanation: During the AIR system test the ECM looks for a change in the O2 sensor voltage -- no change was detected.
Probable causes: AIR pump electrical circuit fault; Blocked AIR system; Failed AIR pump

I bought the car with 85k on it and I haven't had the chance to do a lot of the scheduled maintanence. Sorry if there are stupid questions but I do need some help and I do appreciate it.

Everytime I need to fix something I upgrade it if I can so suggestions are appreciated.

THANKS EVERYONE
Old 03-21-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

After a little search I found that the p1416 code might be the passenger side air-check valve that needs to be replaced. From what I read its a pretty easy fix but I have no idea how or where to start. Any ideas or directions?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well guess you have a bad air pump, followed by possible o2, and then IAC...check those
Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

I have had the same exact issues with my car and it only has 14k on the dash. To address your questions from my experience recently:

1. Occasionally the car runs rough and idles low. It seems like it will stall out.
(usually only for the first 5 minutes or so then it settles down and runs ok.
-Computer tuning/timing needs to be adjusted (could be other things as well but this is what I was told)

2. Car runs very loud (must be coming from a belt). Wondering about getting an underdrive pulley.
-depends on the type of loud, probably a belt or pulley

3. There is a high pitched noise coming from my speakers. As the rpms go up, the pitch gets louder and higher.
-Bad ground from your stereo or other electronic source

4. SES light and code -- Went to Autozone to have it scanned and they gave me a printout of the code. It came back with the following:
Troubleshooting p1416 OEM Brand : General Motors
Definition: air system bank 2 fault
Explanation: During the AIR system test the ECM looks for a change in the O2 sensor voltage -- no change was detected.
Probable causes: AIR pump electrical circuit fault; Blocked AIR system; Failed AIR pump
-02 sensors need to be replaced/codes cleared. Use OEM only.

I still havent fixed my car completely, have to bring it in again for complete resolution. The stall issue sucks because it dies when I make low speed turns.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies... any more opinions from anyone
Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

bump ttt
Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

well if its boging down at idle, and it feels like its going to die, you might have some injector issues have you ever cleaned them? just with like a Lucas Injector Clean, see what happens? i mean there only like 3 bucks at wal-mart and you'll get better economy I know I've done it on all my trips always get about 2-3 MPG better. if you have a high pitch squeak or something then yeah I would say belt but if not then you need to sniff around a little more or give a description of the noise as for the AIR system.....throw it away....
Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

I did buy some injector cleaner but there is no difference. I now have 2 codes, p1416 (same as before) and p141 which i was told was the downstream O2 sensor. The car is my DD so I need it to be able to pass inspection and all that crap, not sure if throwing away the AIR will do or cause.

Does anyone know what could cause my car to be throwing those 2 codes?