General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

grinding\rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding\rubbing noise

I have a 98 ss, stock 10 bolt, 3.42s, 6 spd, under hard acceleration or when the rear squats it makes a grinding sort of noise, almost as if the drive line or torque arm is hitting the car. I checked the torque arm mount and changed the tranny mount, didnt seem to help. there isn't any signs that its hitting the inside of the tunnel. The car is lowered, was bought that way not sure of the springs that are on it tho, would relocation brackets fix that, or do you have any ideas. thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Anyone have any ideas ??
Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your rear is probably on its way out. pull the cover and see if you find any metal on the magnet. put fresh fluid back is with the additive. i usually use two bottles of additive cause i can never get a single bottle to empty completely into the damn rears. im also **** about have enough of the additive cause ive seen what would happen without them. my last lt1 car had the rear rebuilt right before i bought it and there was no additive. made all kinds of noise. put additive in and she was good as new.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Yeah I need to check that but it doesn't do it all the time only when the car squats, like if you just do a soft launch and all the weight transfers is when it does it. I guess its possible its a U joint too, Im not sure what to think ill definatley check the rear end for shavings and what not thanks for the advice.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check all your bushings and sway bar endlinks while you back there. U joint is a possibility ya.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I bought my car a few years back, it was doing similar under HEAVY throttle, even on the test drive. I took a chance on a hunch and bought the car anyway. Got under it, and it turned out that the cat-back (borla) was bouncing off the under-floor under harsh driving. I loosened the exhaust clamps around there, pried the pipes away from the floor, and tightened the clamps back up. It has never hit since
Old 04-04-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check for exhaust or tire rub
Old 04-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
When I bought my car a few years back, it was doing similar under HEAVY throttle, even on the test drive. I took a chance on a hunch and bought the car anyway. Got under it, and it turned out that the cat-back (borla) was bouncing off the under-floor under harsh driving. I loosened the exhaust clamps around there, pried the pipes away from the floor, and tightened the clamps back up. It has never hit since
Yeah when I first bought the car it had that similar problem with the exhaust but it wasnt hitting the floor board it was hitting the axle housing when you hit a bump, I had the piece that goes over the axle rebent and put back on that fixed that but there was still this problem, I have checked the sway bar bushings and lca, shocks and couldnt see anything abnormal. Could it possibly be caused by not having the relocations brackets for the LCA's ?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine was hitting near the front of the vehicle. check along the entire length of the exhaust, look for lightly buffed/polished/peened areas of the underfloor above the pipes, it might be barely noticable. Not saying it's definitely it, but don't rule it out too quickly is all.