General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Serious Brake Issue. PLEASE help !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Brake Issue. PLEASE help !!

I have a 97 Blazer. Recently when you push the brake pedal it started to grab TOO QUICK to the point where you feel the front brakes SLIP instead of grab and stop. It is really really dangerous, sometimes you come to a stop sign slowely and push the brake to stop and instead of stopping it GREABS and SLIPS very quickly, I found myself pass the stop sign few times already.

I went ahead and replaced the front brake pads just to be sure even though they were good, but it didn't fix the problem.
I adjusted the rear drum brakes, thought they weren't grabing and causing the front pads to work too hard to stop the truck and for that reason they slip, but it wasn't the case either.

What do you guys think my problem is. Again, when you push the pedal, you "Almost" hit your head on the front wind shield instead of stoping normally, it grabs QUICK then it SLIPS then it sometimes stop and sometimes doesn't.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, all brake pads/shoes are new.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

bleed the front brakes
Old 03-16-2008, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, never thought to do so since I didn't disconnect any of the lines, why do you think I should do so if the lines weren't disconnected? Could air in the lines cause that? Normally air causes the brake pedal to go all the way down in order to stop. I will bleed them though.
Thanks very much for your opinion.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familiar with the specific braking system of a 97 Blazer, but maybe a problem with a combination valve, perhaps the metering valve section...??
Old 03-16-2008, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Woh, it's getting serious now. What is that and where it's located? Never heard of that before. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Did you do any serious braking maneuver soon before this started happening? You could have overheated your brake fluid, causing it to boil and getting an air bubble in the lines (hence, why someone suggested bleeding it). I would do that first, simply because it's simple, before you start worring/messing with the harder stuff, like the proportioning valve that keliente suggested.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

yeah, start simple. Bleed and replace the fluid; those items do not generally fail but your symptoms sure sound like keliente is on the money.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, very interesting, I'll do that first thing tomorrow and see if it's gonna do anything. I really don't recall any serious braking maneuver soon before this started happening, actually it started and gotten worse within few weeks, now it's "Locking" worse, you push ur foot on the pedal, it "Locks" and JUMPS few times till it stops. Do you guys suspect any issue with the calipers.

Also, I'd like to mention, on the brake pads, the metal piece on the front brake pads was an inch or so off it's actual location on the brake pads, that's the reason I replaced them, I checked the calipers but not sure if any problem's there. The metal piece I'm talking about it the piece that's attached to the brake pad with two clips that hold the pads on the caliper, that piece for some reason wasn't in it's actual location so I replaced them and here I'm having the same exact issue I've had before replacing them.

I really appreciate all your comments/suggestion trying to help me out with this guys.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea check the 2 of the main valves proportioning valve,metering valve, i forgot which one but one of these two valves makes the brake fluid travel to the rear brakes then when it reaches a certain pressure the front brakes engage. it does this so you do not have a harsh or to grabby brakes! i think maybe the metering valve
Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Where should I look for these two valves?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

usually in the master cylinder