General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alternator right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down alternator right?

Have to jump the bird to get it running, runs fine gauges read charged, shut it off after runiing it for a while, driving it around the block. DEAD DEAD DEAD

it must be the alternator correct? i have red top optima battery that is no more than a couple months old so im betting big money its not the battery.

any help is greatly appreciated,.....also where on the W W W is the cheapest deal for one.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well I'd have the Battery checked but you need to drive it more than around the block to get a charge also. if you have a multi meter you can check to see if your alternator is pushing out the power. Also check all your grounds and make shure they good. Other than that I'd say its your Nator.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLACK2001SS
well I'd have the Battery checked but you need to drive it more than around the block to get a charge also. if you have a multi meter you can check to see if your alternator is pushing out the power. Also check all your grounds and make shure they good. Other than that I'd say its your Nator.
Thanks for the input first off

second....i cant drive it any farther due to loss of drivers liscence......yea yea i know. And as for my multi meter i blew the fuse in it a couple days ago and dont have a replacement handy. maybe ill see if i can talk the ol lady into a drive to parts store for a test.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

If it was only the alternator it wouldn't get you around the block. The battery can't provide enough juice to run your entire electrical system if it can't even start the engine. The alternator is what's keeping you running.

Make sure the red exciter wire on top of the alternator is plugged in and that the wire is not damaged. That wire tells the charging system to 'charge'.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Actually, my Optima HAS run my entire system for about 45 miles. 0 output. But you can see the lights dim with each passing mile. Got me to the dealer though.

It PROBABLY is your alternator, check your cables and make sure they aren't corroded from the last battery - lots of Delcos LEAK!

Don't cheap out on the alternator, or you will get stuck again.

My rec: Go with ACDelco from gmpartsdirect (DIY) or have a dealer do it and get the lifetime parts and labor warranty. I've gone through several -well worth the money. Get yours rebuilt for HO if you do stereo stuff.

AZ and most of the other store brands suck, from my experience on many vehicles.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah haha my truck alt died on the highway no power at all the odo is digital and it wasnt even on, gas gague went all the way down I ran it for 30 miles no power.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Actually, my Optima HAS run my entire system for about 45 miles. 0 output. But you can see the lights dim with each passing mile. Got me to the dealer though.
In the OP's case, his battery won't crank the engine, so how do you expect it to run the electrical system with no alternator? Your experience is different.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know of several times when I jumped cars with bad alternators It ran off the juice that the other car gave it.
But he only has a cupple choices if its the charging system his battery or his alternator or bad wires, ground ect.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dave 96TA
In the OP's case, his battery won't crank the engine, so how do you expect it to run the electrical system with no alternator? Your experience is different.
Technically, his starter won't crank the engine because it's not getting energized. We really don't know where the problem is in the system. An Optima typically doesn't run down that fast and alternators don't typically go in and out - but it can happen.

When you say dead, does it crank at all? Crank slowly? Crank but not start? It sounds like you are saying no crank at all and only clicking when the key is turned. Need to clarify though. Assuming this:

Check the battery cables first. That's a very common problem. They can be corroded in ways that are hard to see.
Check your grounds.
Check battery next, pull it out and test it. That's probably not it, given it's an Optima.
Next most likely is alternator.

Remember, you have an entire circuit to consider:
Key/Ignition
PCM
BCM
Battery
Starter
Alternator
and all the wiring and connectors in between.

I've given you all the possibilities, generally. The most common are:
Battery
Battery cables
Alternator

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Technically, his starter won't crank the engine because it's not getting energized. We really don't know where the problem is in the system. An Optima typically doesn't run down that fast and alternators don't typically go in and out - but it can happen.

When you say dead, does it crank at all? Crank slowly? Crank but not start? It sounds like you are saying no crank at all and only clicking when the key is turned. Need to clarify though. Assuming this:

Check the battery cables first. That's a very common problem. They can be corroded in ways that are hard to see.
Check your grounds.
Check battery next, pull it out and test it. That's probably not it, given it's an Optima.
Next most likely is alternator.

Remember, you have an entire circuit to consider:
Key/Ignition
PCM
BCM
Battery
Starter
Alternator
and all the wiring and connectors in between.

I've given you all the possibilities, generally. The most common are:
Battery
Battery cables
Alternator

Good luck.

It does nothing, i jump the car and it will start, the gauge reads that it is charging. I let it run ffor 15-20 minutes and a small drive. turn it off and try to turn it back on instantly NOTHING no clicks ,no lights on, nothing
Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

My car did the same.....it was the battery cables
Old 04-01-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

My gut tells me either
1. Bad/corroded cables
2. Bad battery (it CAN happen, even with Optima)
in that order.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Launching!

new developments.

After a jump today i got out my test light (mulit meter is broken), while running i have poer to the positive on the battery, and i have power to the red terminal on the drivers side front that connects to the fuse box. shut off the car and i had enough power for the test light to light up dimly, and turn the key and have all gauges slowly drain....after that nothing again no clicks no gauges nothing.

any new ideas
Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Whether the alt is bad or not, your battery is so dead that it can't light up the gauges.

This means that when you jump your car and it runs fine, it's NOT running off the battery, it's running off the alternator which appears to be fine.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

You have a bad battery, no doubt about it.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def a bad battery. been there done that. maybe optima had a bad batch.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

It's either cables or battery. At this point, I'll step out further: You have bad cables that killed your battery. Take the time to replace the cables and go see if they will warranty your Optima. My guess is you'll be running like/better than new.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Launching!

awesome guys thanks for the help although it seemed to be a noob thread, I am quit car savy I just didn't want to believe it was my brand new 150 dollar battery. leave it to me to get a dud....FTL