General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anything to worry about when cleaning the MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything to worry about when cleaning the MAF?

Hey guys, I been wanting to clean the maf but I am really worried about screwing it up. I bought the CRC maf cleaner but my buddy who is a mechanic just told me how he doesn't think it's a good idea. What do you think? The car only has 35k on it, but it's never been cleaned.

If I don't touch anything and just spray the stuff and let it dry am I still causing any sort of risk?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've cleaned mine with it. I let it dry for about a half hour, then reassembled it without any problems. My recommendation if you do is to not spray the **** out of it. The chemical is cold as **** when it comes out of the can. There is a chance that the cold will disturb/break the sensing elements in the sensor, but only if you hose it down. It won't do much, and if it looks clean, I wouldn't worry about it. Your choice

Last edited by DVS99TRANS; 03-31-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: adding
Old 03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did it on mine for the first time this Saturday. It's easy. Just don't touch the wires with anything and you're fine. When I did mine I worried about damaging the sensor by spraying too closely to it, so I held the tip of the straw about 4" away from the sensor. Afterwards I realized that air is sucked through that thing at probably faster speeds, so there probably was no need to worry. The stuff is cold, but not dangerously so. I saturated my sensor and even got some on my hands and all it did was dry out my skin.

FWIW, I didn't notice any change in performance, although nothing was wrong with my car to begin with and my sensor didn't look dirty.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did mine there was some crud on the sensor elements that wouldn't budge just by spraying, I had to gently wipe them off with a Q-tip. Made me a little nervous but they didn't break. No change in performance after but I feel better knowing it's done.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I also had to go with the Q-tip method - but its one of last resort. I found a cheap negative loupe (purchased at any photography store) helped to magnify the work.

With regard to being worried about the spray - its specially made for the job. The MAF sensor has a heater in it, which continually cleans off most contaminants. The cleaner has solvents in it, which will dissolve most of the other stuff that doesn't burn away during normal driving.