General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Line & fitting question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C Line & fitting question

So I was messing with my radiator and cracked the high pressure line coming out of the evaporator right where the tubing drops in OD, before the high pressure switch.
I am moving things around and need a longer a/c line so question is what are my options? I searched on here and found that the pressure switch is a M10 x 1.5 and am unable to find a non-weld in fitting for this. I would like to remake the lines using a standard kit from these two sites.
http://www.docsblocks.com/
http://www.acsource.com/index.asp?Pa...S&Category=209

Anyone redone theirs and have any tips for me?

Thanks,

-Jarrod
Old 04-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Turbo Addict

Anyone ever try this stuff?

http://www.muggyweld.com/
Old 04-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just need a new line they are $50 from GM and come with a new pressure switch, orifice tube, and one o ring.
I don't see why you can straighten out the bends to make it longer for whatever reason you need to make it longer. So if you can't make a new one longer I'd take it to a good automotive a/c shop, they will find new ends that they can crimp a longer rubber hose onto.

Don't even waste you're time with that aluminum welding rod, it works great in their demo if you ever need to fix a hole in a soda can. I went to HVAC school one 4 year class, one 2 year class, and several smaller classes in between.
One year the teacher brought some of that stuff in and put up a bet that no one could fix an aluminum automotive condenser coil with that stuff. I took him up on the bet and tried like hell for 6 hours, and could not get a pin hole he punched in it to seal up.
I could fix a tear in a soda can with it, but i think the refrigerant oil inside the condenser kept it from taking to the base metal.

Right now I have a custom a/c system in my truck with two aluminum lines joined with a brass flare union. Four years and still going.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Turbo Addict

Thanks for the response.....that's what I figured on that stuff....glad someone with the background can confirm my thoughts.
I don't think even a factory line straightened out will work....if i can even do it without it breaking again.
I was considering getting a somewhat free used high pres line, cutting it and then joining it back together with some flares and either a new piece of Al tubing or some a/c rated rubber line....I would prefer to have something flexible so I could move it around if need be.