General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Front license plate help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front license plate help

So I am flying out to pick up my car tomorrow. In MD we have to have both plates and I know the rear screws should be there. My question is the front cover has to be removed and a bracket goes there. I am picking that up from the GM dealer since it just arrived today. What screws do I need to put it on and secure the tag to the front?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

On mine, the screws were there under the front cover and no bracket was required. Since you are picking it up at a dealer they should give you the screws.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would run with no front plate until someone starts giving you trouble without it.

These cars look like crap with that front plate on there.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Trouble? I got a $120 ticket for no plate, I'll take the 'looks like crap' over paying that kind of cash.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Normally where I live you get a warning for a first time offense with a license plate...Id risk it and see waht happens if it was me
Old 04-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Adam013085
Normally where I live you get a warning for a first time offense with a license plate...Id risk it and see waht happens if it was me
Yes - we can get away with it in Illinois - but not in Maryland. I used to live in that area and it will get you pulled over. (They sometimes even pull over people who are missing them from states where its legal. I try to avoid interstate travel through MD at all costs. They are brutal...) Closer to Washington DC, local police even get ticket parked cars for the violation.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try mounting it on your dash, so it shows through the windshield.

Technically, its not a legal mounting location. But you might get a breal from the cop pulling you over in the 1st place, or get out of it if he does turn on the flashing red lights.

Otherwise bite the bullet, mount the damn plate to the front bumper.

We have to have a front plate here in NY too, it sucks.
Since I have the Trans AM, depending on my mood for the week, I'll either put on or take off the front plate cover, and take my chances for the week.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Launching!

It's a $60 ticket in MD. I made it 5.5 months w/o getting a ticket.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I would run with no front plate until someone starts giving you trouble without it.

These cars look like crap with that front plate on there.
bah...sure, it looks better with no front plate, but with a front plate the car is still dead sexy and was designed to look good with the front plate.

That said, the best setup I saw was a guy on here (with the sickest camaro I've seen, 9's last I knew), named Noyzee had his mounted under the front bumper on that air dam under there, I had to laugh, it was pretty cool, you could barely see it under there, it was basically under the car but still facing forward.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It looks a heck of a lot better with a plate than ANY 93-97 Ffody.

Plus i agree, you could put it in the dash. Just make sure your passengers are aware of the potential flying razor knife when you take off too fast and dislodge it....
Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can barely see it in his avatar, but you can see it and get the idea. I couldn't find any better pics. Also notice his sick numbers in his sig wow. The guy is like famous on the eastern section. Most helpful guy and always a ton of laughs around his posts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=8358
Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i refuse to run a front plate. it looks retarded.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

the back one looks dumb too, you should just run no plates while your at it, shave that stupid inspection sticker
Old 04-04-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run it without a plate for a while, and see how it goes. If you get pulled over, just tell them you bought the car out of state, and you know you need a front plate, but haven't gotten a chance to put it on yet. They should let you off on a warning. It worked for me, and I'm in **** NJ.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
bah...sure, it looks better with no front plate, but with a front plate the car is still dead sexy and was designed to look good with the front plate.

That said, the best setup I saw was a guy on here (with the sickest camaro I've seen, 9's last I knew), named Noyzee had his mounted under the front bumper on that air dam under there, I had to laugh, it was pretty cool, you could barely see it under there, it was basically under the car but still facing forward.
i dont know bud, seems to me you can see it perfect (went 8's last year)

Old 04-05-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

lmao that's what I'm talking about your car is awesome. The one day I've been racing was in NY a couple years back when I first bought mine, I think you went in the 9's that day and they wouldn't let you go anymore that day because your car was too fast or something, sounded awesome....back when your car was, um, slow
Old 04-05-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Put it on your dash and see what happens.....I believe over here, they can only give you a Warning. Since the plate is still visable. That's all my friend ever got, when he didnt have his mounted on his F-150. Maybe over there it might be the same....
Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
lmao that's what I'm talking about your car is awesome. The one day I've been racing was in NY a couple years back when I first bought mine, I think you went in the 9's that day and they wouldn't let you go anymore that day because your car was too fast or something, sounded awesome....back when your car was, um, slow
yea, i remember talking with you befor.
hoping to get some parts here this week so i can run the new set up on motor this weekend. we'll see.
hows your ride?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

i live in NE and got pulled over by a new cop in my old camaro it was in my window but he asked where it was (probably couldn't see it through the 3" cowl) all the other cops see my car when i am working and say no front plate and i say nope they just laugh and don't give a crap.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Noyzee
yea, i remember talking with you befor.
hoping to get some parts here this week so i can run the new set up on motor this weekend. we'll see.
hows your ride?
Same as it was when i bought it except 50k more miles. I've avoided getting bit by the mod bug somehow, probably because I don't have the extra money. Though this weekend I did mod my starter by scraping the crud off the starter/solenoid terminals for a 300 rwhp increase

Quick Reply: Front license plate help