General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low coolant light....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low coolant light....

came on yesterday while driving. I've never had it come on. Actually warning lights has ever came on in the car until now. I pulled over and checked the coolant level in the coolant can under the battery and is was full. Just to make sure, I added Dexcool and it only took less than a cup to become full. I drove home and the next day, I checked the radiator. Its full too. Why is my light still on? Could it be a bad coolant temp sensor? If so, how do you check if its bad? If I do have a bad sensor, will it prevent my fans from coming on? Don't want to overheat.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not the coolant temp sensor, its the coolant level sensor that let's you know when your coolant is low. It has nothing to do with the fans. They are notorious for going bad, you can take it off and clean it, replace it or like alot of people do just unplug it. If you unplug it you have to check your coolant level more often to make sure it's stay's full.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Is that the sensor on the side of the radiator? Not sure where it is.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, it is just down a few inches down from the filler neck.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Got it. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
It's not the coolant temp sensor, its the coolant level sensor that let's you know when your coolant is low. It has nothing to do with the fans. They are notorious for going bad, you can take it off and clean it, replace it or like alot of people do just unplug it. If you unplug it you have to check your coolant level more often to make sure it's stay's full.
CORRECTAMUNDO!! Spend the $25 and replace it.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Do not unplug the sensor. It does its job(if not bad sensor) and has saved me twice in telling me i was low in coolant. The second time was today.

We also have a low oil sensor that tells us we are low on motor oil. That one saved my engine. I had to install 1 quart and a half. Those sensors are motor savers, don't unplug them if they work properly they do there job great!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
9 Second Club

Just an FYI for you. I had a sililar issue with my coolant light and all I had to add was a cup or so and it would go off. Well I kept smelling a hint of antifreeze with the car off and the hood popped but found no leaks. I finally borrowed a pressure checker from a friend and after pressurizing the cooling system I found it was my water pump gaskets seeping only while the system was pressurized. When the stat was opened and the car was running cool it would not push out enough water to make a puddle on the ground. If it happens again and you have to put a cup or so in the car I would do a pressure check.