General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how much ac compressor ,accmulator etc cost ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how much ac compressor ,accmulator etc cost ??

i went to BRAKES PLUS today to have my ac system checked cos it was blowing hot air . they said i need to replace ac compressor KIT , AC CONDENSER AND clean evaporator and accumulator cos the ols compressor has blown metal pieces in it . and they estimated the cost $1700 with labor .
i guess i have hot summer . i dont know wut u guys think sound right ?
any suggestions , thanx in advance .
Old 05-05-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my AC condenser went out like 5 yrs ago...cost me ~1300 bucks at the dealership...sucks man, sorry to hear about that. Mine went out when it was like 90 and sunny and driving back to college...not a fun ride on the high way
Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Get a can of 134 and try to charge it before you pay anyone to replace all that stuff.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, just remove it, save the wieght, suck it up and run with the t-tops out. I have a convertible and I'm pretty sure mine just bit the dust. Lucky I have the topless option, but it sucks hardcore on rainy days.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

I'm putting AC back in a car that it was taken out of.
You don't EVER flush an accumulator or compressor.
Usually if the compressor goes out you can either flush the living **** out of the condenser and reuse it or replace it. The shop wants to replace it because refrigerant flows about 18" from the compressor to the condenser so all the garbage gets stuck there, and if they don't do it right they are liable to fix it a second time.

I got a good used condenser for $45 (new Delphi is $199), a new accumulator costs $85 (this is a disposable item when the systems been open) an o ring kit is $8, oil is $9, refrigerant is $14, you should get an orifice tube $6, new compressor is $375. The rest should be ok. Add that up and figure the difference as labor. I have all the tools to do mine so I'm skipping labor costs.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My shop just replaced my compressor, orifice tube and accumulator for $300 he waived the labor charges. Even if a new condenser were $200, that's still only $500. $1700 is just insane. I wonder how some of these shops stay in business.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

I have a compressor for sale really pretty much new
Old 05-15-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trenz_em
i went to BRAKES PLUS today to have my ac system checked cos it was blowing hot air . they said i need to replace ac compressor KIT , AC CONDENSER AND clean evaporator and accumulator cos the ols compressor has blown metal pieces in it . and they estimated the cost $1700 with labor .
i guess i have hot summer . i dont know wut u guys think sound right ?
any suggestions , thanx in advance .
I went to my local Pontiac dealership, paid about $800.00, labor included, for a new factory compressor and some other parts. Basically a new system. And the bonus...Lifetime parts and labor warranty. I have no more worries ever as far as A/C goes.

Where do you live?

Quick Reply: how much ac compressor ,accmulator etc cost ??