General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS INOP and AIR BAG lights came on today

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS INOP and AIR BAG lights came on today

So, I had just pulled into the garage from going on a little joy ride, since it was such a nice day today. I gave the car a couple good, rather high, revs when I pulled it in. After I did it, my Air Bag light and Brake (One that comes on when the e-brake is pulled) started blinking like crazy. So, I shut the car off and turned it back on. After that, my Air Bag light and ABS INOP light have been on ever since. What do you guys think happened? Could I have somehow blew a fuse or something? I'm confused at why those lights would come on after a couple revs. In the morning, I think I'll disconnect the battery, to reset the computer, and see if they end up coming back on or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

bump..... The lights came back on again yesterday and I can't get them to turn back off. Anyone have an idea of what would cause it to happen.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Bump........Anyone? I checked the fuses and they aren't blown. So that's not it. I unhooked the battery for a little bit and plugged it back in, to see if that'd do anything. And it didn't.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does that everyday. I've checked everything but haven't been able to check for ABS codes. I did notice when I did the front brakes about a month ago that the right front hub didn't spin as freely as the left side. They are going to be replaced soon. I'm thinking maybe the speed sensor on the right front is messed up because the bearing is going bad.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will have to check the codes...no other way to start diagnosing the problem. A typical scanner wont pull B or C codes so you may have to take to a shop or find someone with a scanner that will pull body and chassis codes.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by txturbo
Mine does that everyday. I've checked everything but haven't been able to check for ABS codes. I did notice when I did the front brakes about a month ago that the right front hub didn't spin as freely as the left side. They are going to be replaced soon. I'm thinking maybe the speed sensor on the right front is messed up because the bearing is going bad.
It is possible for it to go bad. There is not much inside the hub but maybe water intrusion or the connection broke. They are about 230 from the dealer.

If you are noticing a difference like you said surely you might be able to see it in the tyres or how the car tracks!

My mom's car had an unsolvable tracking issue. No matter who aligned the car it would still pull plus strange sounds. Hub solved it. Car rode like new.

Here is the deal: The code which could indicate a bad wheel sensor could also mean its your tyre size specs broke/bad connection, or even interference. Good luck!!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Did you resolve this yet? My moms 97 grand am would give those same lights when the alternator was going out. Did it twice during the life of the car, changed the alternator and everything was fine. May want to look into it.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Had this happen to a friend down the street from me. After alot of diagnostics, turned out to be the ABS controller (I probably have the name wrong. It's the block with the brake lines running to it under the hood) had gone bad. Hope it helps out.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Had this happen to a friend down the street from me. After alot of diagnostics, turned out to be the ABS controller (I probably have the name wrong. It's the block with the brake lines running to it under the hood) had gone bad. Hope it helps out.
Do you really want to torture yourself???

It is called the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module or EBTCM for short.

The metal body is called the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve Body or BPMVB.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Launching!

I knew some smartass would have the right name for it.