General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Header install = broken sensor & Exhaust bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install = broken sensor & Exhaust bolt

Well while doing a longtube install, passenger header dropped perfectly in with no problem from the top, had to remove the valve cover, but that was fine. Driver's on the other hand, is being a pain in the ***. Took us forever to get the old manifold out, and we broke the sensor that's in the rear of the motor, just above the oil filter, and it looks to have 1 wire to it, and runs to the oil level sensor in the pan. I assume it's the pressure switch/sending unit, but the one's we have at work are 3 prong, this only has 1 wire do it (that I can see, I haven't pulled the sensor out yet.) And it's covered in a rubber boot.

Other than that, the car was hit in the front end when I bought it, and it has had an exhaust leak from the rear driver's side. Pull the valve cover and exhaust manifold and the last 3 valves are an orangy color in spots, and the inside of the valve cover is some melted away plastic. I assume the exhaust leak right below those valves caused them to over heat. In any event, one of the manifold bolts was broken off the last bolt on the manifold in the back... which is actually the 5th bolt hole in the block, since stock manifolds only have 4 bolts.

On to the point, I can't afford to pull the head right now, this is my DD and I have to work, plus I'm tight on money. Can't get drill in between the engine bay and the head to get that bolt out or to tap the hole. Since headers have 6 bolts, would it be acceptable to just use 5/6 bolts, and put some copper hi temp silicone on that exhaust port around the gasket? This will definitely be better than how it's been all along, because it'll have 2 more bolts than it had originally, plus it will have one in the very last bolt hole on the block, where it previously did not. I know this is a "quick fix" and it will have to be fixed eventually. I've used sealant on older manifolds and it held tight for a while, I just wanted to get a new daily driver before I pull the head.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Should be ok, id put it all together. Let it go through a few heat cycles then retighten the bolts.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Precisely that answer I was hoping for. Any idea about that sensor? Does it maybe just control the light or gauge?