General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seat Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008 | 09:33 AM
Teching In

Exclamation Seat Rattles

I tried doing a search for this and cant come up with anything.

So lately, my girlfriend's 2007 Monte Carlo SS has been having some interior rattle. The passenger side seat rattles when its unoccupied. Now, to me, it seems as if its the back park of the seat. When I say back, its the vertical rest, that reclines....not the part you sit on. I guess you can say the lumbar or whatever. I hope my description helps.

Now is there anyway to fix this on our own or is this something the dealer should take care of? We really have no time between work to get this fixed and hope that a DIY is possible.

This is also happening in my car, a 2006 GTO. So if you can offer some possble fixes for both cars, that would be greatly appreciated. More so for her car since my car kind of drowns out the noise anyway either from the stereo or the exhaust drone.

Thanks in advance fellas.
Old 07-06-2008 | 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Mine in the camaro might ahve been different.. but..

I took the seat out, and on the underside of the seat.. I guess where the seat bolts to the frame of it, one of the bolts was loose. tightened it up and good to go. It was even squeaking when going over bumps was driving me nuts. Hope this helps
Old 07-06-2008 | 12:46 PM
Teching In

Was hoping not to have to take the seat out...but we'll give it a try.
Old 07-06-2008 | 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

if its a 2007, wouldn't it still be under warranty?
Old 07-06-2008 | 01:03 PM
Launching!

I was able to get to and tighten the bolts without out taking it out. Just by moving it forwards and backwards to get to the bolts with a wrench.
Old 07-06-2008 | 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blazingz28
Mine in the camaro might ahve been different.. but..

I took the seat out, and on the underside of the seat.. I guess where the seat bolts to the frame of it, one of the bolts was loose. tightened it up and good to go. It was even squeaking when going over bumps was driving me nuts. Hope this helps
Hmm interesting, my passenger squeaks sometimes too. I'll have to check that out!
Old 07-06-2008 | 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, mine rattles alot too, it's pretty annoying. Usually does it when going over rough overpasses o nthe highway.

Side note: How come they'll fix the pavement on both sides of the overpass, but never the overpass itself? All the overpasses I go to on my route to/from work have nice new pavement on either side, really smooth as glass, but the overpass itself is choppy contrete? Annoying as hell.
Old 07-06-2008 | 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

my pass seat rattles 2 and it is annoying........so there are some bolts that just need to be tightened?
Old 07-07-2008 | 10:33 AM
Launching!

My passenger side rattled sometimes and it was really annoying. Last year I pulled it out and sprayed rubberized black paint all over the bottom (not on the slide mechanism). No more noise.
Old 07-07-2008 | 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

can someone take a pic of the bolts that are loose....or give a better description of their location
Old 07-08-2008 | 02:03 PM
Teching In

Yeah, the locations of those bolts would be helpful.

Yes, the car is a 2007, i brought it to the dealer to day and they said they will charge me for labor if its not a defective part. Which i thought was total bull, but one of the mechanics there was nice enough to check it for me and said it was "normal".

Once again, i didnt like it and said ill take care of it myself. So now im just looking for what it might be. I drove it myself today and didnt hear a thing. Ill have another look at it and maybe play around with it a tad.
Old 07-08-2008 | 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
can someone take a pic of the bolts that are loose....or give a better description of their location
The bolts for the seat to rail are underneath the seat... you can feel them with your hand.
Old 07-08-2008 | 03:29 PM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

I did this last year. Basically took both seats out of the TA and tightened every bolt I could find on the seat. Fixed it, and it's all of 15 minutes to pull both seats.
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:25 PM
Teching In

Sounds easier than you guys make it out to be. I tried doing that today and couldnt get the seat out. All the reachable bolts are tight enough already. Should I just pull the seat out? If so, I might need a little help. How do I get the reclining level off? The plastic molding wont come out unless that is pulled off and I dont want to mess anything up on her car. Any clue?