General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window doesnt't go up all the way...Pics included

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by meckeard
Pulling up the window didn't help. There's still too much pressure on the regulator/whatever-it-is in the middle of the door. It's almost as if it's been forced to a position and hard to move. Maybe even some of the other bolts are keeping this whole thing in place and preventing me from moving it.

I did notice that there are a few black bolts in the door towards the end of it. Not sure what they do but here's a pic:

Since I can't seem to manually move the hardware to the correct spot, should I attempt to remove the tracks and other internals, J-D weld in my hack-fix and reassemble everything? I'll run over to a Chevy dealership during lunch but I suspect they'll recommend getting a new door or the manual fix will break the bank and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

My final option would be to replace the entire door but then I'd have to swap the door, move over my trim and repaint the door. Seems like that would get expensive rather quickly.
Don't mess with the black bolts. They are for your internal tracks, which the rollers on the regulator ride in. Moving those will jsut create other problems for you. They aren't your issue anyway.

Your picture is too blurry to see what is going on. Did you unbolt the regulator? Try taking out he door speaker. That will allow you to get a view to what is going on inside the door. Loosening some of the bolts on the regulator should allow you to move it around. With all four bolts out and the hook in the hole (I don't see the hook in your picture, either.) everything should move freely.

If you end up taking the car to someone, go to a dealer only if you want to get raped. If you take a picture of the plate fix and go to a body shop for the repair - they should treat you much more reasonably/fairly.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I wasn't sure what would happen if I unbolted the regulator. With the pressure on it, it seems as it it'll shoot downwards if I unbolt it due to the pressure. I think I'll put the motor back in to drop the window more and see if this frees us the pressure. Then I pull out the regulator, fix the door and reassemble.

OK on the dealership thing. I just thought they would be better suited to fix this but I get your point about the high cost.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Save the manuals!

No, I wasn't sure what would happen if I unbolted the regulator. With the pressure on it, it seems as it it'll shoot downwards if I unbolt it due to the pressure.
As long as the motor is installed (its important to keep the glass from moving around) the unit won't fall as long as the hook integrated in to the regulator is resting in its hole in the door. That hook will take all the weight of the glass just resting there.

OK on the dealership thing. I just thought they would be better suited to fix this but I get your point about the high cost.
It's a body repair no matter how you look at it. The dealer will probably either send it out to a body shop or do what you suggested and install another door. Either just gets really expensive. (A "new" door will probably come to you from a junk yard with the same problem, anyway!)
Old 08-29-2015, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm dealing with the same issue but I knew about this before I bought my car. Ordered a new regulator and motor and I'm in the process of swapping them.

This is a good thread and I've learned a lot of how our doors work by reading it.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is mine staring to rip out or do these look like grinder marks from somebody knocking off the rivets to replace the regulator?

Old 06-28-2022, 01:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Looks like grinder marks and that you have the proper rivets.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So if this motor goes out just replace the motor with the shbox and leave the rest alone? Do you have a preference between dorman and acdelco as I have both in the box.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by nastyiroc
So if this motor goes out just replace the motor with the shbox and leave the rest alone? Do you have a preference between dorman and acdelco as I have both in the box.
That is what I would do. If you already have them in the box and do the shbox method, it shouldn't make a difference. After you do the first one, each additional swap is a 15 minute job.

Quick Reply: Window doesnt't go up all the way...Pics included