General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dented oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dented oil filter?

I changed my oil today and realized just as I was installing the new oil filter that there was a small dent on the bottom/corner. It is a K&N oil filter #2002.

The size of the dent is about 1/3 inch in diameter, and maybe 2mm depth. It looks as if the shell was already dented during production since I did not see any paint chipped off, or any kind of scratch indicating the dent occured after it was manufactured (I tried denting my old filter, had to bang on it pretty hard to make a dent).

Am I ok to continue using the filter?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would figure that they would give you an exchange at the store but I don't see how it could hurt to use it. I believe the seal between the filter element and the casing is up at the top.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will be ok, really. But if you want, get a exchange unless you already used it.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I already used it (didn't realize it was dented till I installed the filter). Oil pressure seemed normal.

If I were to replace the filter, can I just change the filter or will I have to drain the oil out of the pan first?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can change just the filter but you have to be quick; you will lose some fluid. Have the new one ready as you unscrew the old one. Keep a basin under the filter as you unscrew.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Most likely be alright, but 10 bucks for a new filter is cheap insurance, just in case its not alright. I'd change it as soon as you got a chance.

Your gonna lose around half a quart changing the filter no matter what, start it up after you switch the filter, re-check the level and have some oil handy to top it off.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, just wanted to make sure I'm just gonna lose whatever is in the filter, and not in the pan (1/2 quart vs 5 quarts).

EDIT--I usually fill the filter with oil before installing.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Correct, only oil you're gonna lose is already in the filter. You can deffinatly prime the new filter before you put it on, I'd still start it and double check the oil level afterwards just to be sure.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

I changed the oil filter, but probably did something I shouldn't have -- transferring the oil from the old filter (not really that old) to the new one. I just realized now that I may have transferred metal shavings too.

The old filter was only used to take it off the ramps, and to go back on (so I can change the filter).

Given the fact that I didn't even drive the car 2 feet with the dented filter, hopefully I should be ok. Or do the metal shavings usually stay in the filter fibers and have no chance of being poured out?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
I changed the oil filter, but probably did something I shouldn't have -- transferring the oil from the old filter (not really that old) to the new one. I just realized now that I may have transferred metal shavings too.

The old filter was only used to take it off the ramps, and to go back on (so I can change the filter).

Given the fact that I didn't even drive the car 2 feet with the dented filter, hopefully I should be ok. Or do the metal shavings usually stay in the filter fibers and have no chance of being poured out?
The shavings will be in the filter fibers...that is its purpose.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
The shavings will be in the filter fibers...that is its purpose.
PHEW! Glad to hear that. Just making sure all I did was transfer oil from one filter to the other, nothing else.

Quick Reply: Dented oil filter?