General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC compressor shuts off and will only restart by restarting the car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor shuts off and will only restart by restarting the car.

I have a 1994 Camaro. The AC blows cold, but lately its been shutting off on its own. Ill start the car on a hot day, turn on the ac, its cold, works great and then I come to a stop light and the air goes HOT. I figure, ehh, its just doing that cuz i was idling. Well, it stays hot till I shut the car off and restart it. Then instantly COLD air blows out. It only does this on HOT HOT Days. Ive tried just turning the AC off and turning it back on that doesnt work. I have to actually turn the iginition off and start the car back up. Could it be a relay getting hot and shorting out? Im confused.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just guessing but it could be the charge is getting low and it's turning off from the low pressure switch, then resets/rechecks after the ignition is turned off and on again? Check for any codes to help nail it down, there are several (61, and 66 through 71).
Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

I thought about that, but the air is ICED cold when its actually on. And whats weird, is it doesnt do this in the mornings or after the sun goes down. Its only when its SUPER hot outside. Thats why i was wondering if maybe the heat was getting to the relay or something. I dunno. Im in the dark. Ill check the system pressure and see if maybe ur right. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

the lower the pressure, the colder it will be. so you could have too low of pressure in the system. also next time it's happening you could try jumping the pressure switch to see if that's really what's turning it off. beware, if you do it too long you could **** up your compressor from too low of pressure.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

The low pressure sounds right. But, check the relay. Maybe some how it over loads and shuts off.

Try swapping the relay, and check your refrigerant pressure(with manifold gauges only, not a VatoZone can).
Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

And if your pressures check out you'll probably wanna check the orifice tube next ;-)
Old 08-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
And if your pressures check out you'll probably wanna check the orifice tube next ;-)
Allright Ill check those tonight and get back to you guys. thanks.

Quick Reply: AC compressor shuts off and will only restart by restarting the car.