General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Burnt clutch fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008 | 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Burnt clutch fluid

Hey all I was having some problems driving around last night and for a minute lost the ability to shift into second gear(M6). I checked the fluid and it was darker than satans heart and actually smelled and tasted burnt. There was also a little bit of something in the fluid on the sides of the resivoir, not exactly solid, but thicker than the fluid.
Read around here and took it to a shop and it turns out I was having a problrm with my clutch fluid boiling do to the hose being so close to the header's. Took it into a shop and had them wrap it in heat wrap.
My question is is there another method to kep this from happening? The guys there actually told me that it wouldnt work to solve the issue, but he also told me that I needed shorty big block headers so Im not sure how much they really know!
Old 09-04-2008 | 06:48 PM
On The Tree

when that happened to me my Slave Cylinder gave out. I had no leaks... but I have to switch it out.
Old 09-05-2008 | 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Wrapping it was a good start - you can also replace the fluid with a higher boiling temp fluid. (Valvoline makes a good one if i recall correctly.)

PS....don't taste stuff from your car!
Old 09-07-2008 | 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Heat wrapping it and using and change it with a higher boiling fluid is a good start.
Old 09-08-2008 | 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grimes
Wrapping it was a good start - you can also replace the fluid with a higher boiling temp fluid. (Valvoline makes a good one if i recall correctly.)

PS....don't taste stuff from your car!
i heard from a forum valvoline can mess up the seals in our hydraulic systems. anyways to the OP good start with wrapping it, on my car most of my overheat issues went away after i had done the drill mod along with wrapping the line with aircraft tape and on top of that a duel injection rubber line and i was able to manage to run it under the heat shields. and start fresh with a complete pressure flush from the bottom at the bleeder and the fluid i use now is prestone DOT 4 synthetic fluid
Old 09-11-2008 | 04:04 PM
On The Tree

You can always go to DOT5, but make sure you flush out the system very well if you do so.

Quick Reply: Burnt clutch fluid