General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bucking and popping under load

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bucking and popping under load

i have an '02 SS with a CAI, full exhaust, all emissions have been deleted, and i'm on the stock tune. it's always smoked a little bit and my AF is a good bit off but it's always ran fine. i got on it a little bit tonight, spinning from 1st to 2nd but never hit the limiter or anything. now if i'm around 1500 rpms and ease into the gas a little, it bucks and pops. if i drop a gear, so i'm around 2500 rpms, it's usually fine. i'm thinking i just need to get it tuned, but why would this just happen out of the blue like this? also, it smokes whiteish smoke mostly out of the left exhaust pipe and i have true duals so do you think one of my injectors is bad?
Old 09-14-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump. could bad front o2's cause this?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
i have an '02 SS with a CAI, full exhaust, all emissions have been deleted, and i'm on the stock tune. it's always smoked a little bit and my AF is a good bit off but it's always ran fine. i got on it a little bit tonight, spinning from 1st to 2nd but never hit the limiter or anything. now if i'm around 1500 rpms and ease into the gas a little, it bucks and pops. if i drop a gear, so i'm around 2500 rpms, it's usually fine. i'm thinking i just need to get it tuned, but why would this just happen out of the blue like this? also, it smokes whiteish smoke mostly out of the left exhaust pipe and i have true duals so do you think one of my injectors is bad?
bad A/F ratio can cause bucking, so can clogged/bad injectors and toasted o2's

get a tune
Old 09-15-2008, 04:00 AM
Launching!

Is your maf clean? With the sts kit, i've gotten water on the MAF and popped pipes off. Anything that doesn't allow straight airflow into the engine or anything on the MAF that causes inaccurate airflow measurements can cause what you're describing.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

actually, right before this happened i sprayed the engine bay down with a water hose but i let it dry out before driving it and i've done this 100 times before. i have another maf at the house that i'll try out and see if it fixes it. after that, i'll try new o2's. thanks guys.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
actually, right before this happened i sprayed the engine bay down with a water hose but i let it dry out before driving it and i've done this 100 times before. i have another maf at the house that i'll try out and see if it fixes it. after that, i'll try new o2's. thanks guys.
u may have gotten the knock sensors wet. they corrode easily and cause problems

run an obd2 scanner on your car and see what codes you throw. if you throw both knock sensor codes, could be corroded knock sensors

be careful washing your engine. avoid areas like the computer and under the intake manifold. my computer got wet and corroded once and it caused all kinds of problems
Old 09-15-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i scanned the codes and didn't get any for the knock sensors. i swapped out my maf and it helped a lot but it still bucks a little when your going uphill at about 1500 in 6th, but all i have to do is downshift to 5th and it's fine. i unplugged my o2 sensors and now it hasn't smoked as bad as it has before but you can smell a more gassy fume. i think at least one of my o2's are bad. i was thinking about getting a speed density tune when i get it tuned so i may just not worry about them since i'll take them out anyway.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Do you have access to a wideband O2? When I got water on the MAF, the car would buck but it was because it was running lean as soon as I was more than 25% throttle.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HossinatorSS
Do you have access to a wideband O2? When I got water on the MAF, the car would buck but it was because it was running lean as soon as I was more than 25% throttle.
nope, no wideband. and my car is fine above 1500 rpms unless its going uphill in 6th. i'm thinking it's my o2's. i just don't know if i should replace them and get a regular tune, or since i might get a speed density tune, just live with it until then.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Launching!

white smoke = burning oil.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

try your tps. mine was loose inside.

Quick Reply: bucking and popping under load