General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power to manual window problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power to manual window problem

The car has aftermarket power windows installed, it originally came with manual windows and I have a set of cranks that were purchased off of ebay that came with the car when I bought it. Only trouble is im having a hard time getting the cranks to go back on, im beginning to think that maybe I have the wrong set of cranks? Just looking for a little help/advice on possibly getting the cranks back on or identifying the cranks that I have.

If this is any help in identifying the cranks, the numbers on the backside of both cranks read

>PA6<

This is where the cranks are supposed to snap back in. I havent had a chance to pull the door panel and remove the power window setup but I dont know if thats what is holding me back from getting the cranks back in. Any help or advice is appreciated

Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried sliding them on without the clips to see if they fit the shaft?.

Sara Lou
Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the clips first, install the handles, then install the clips once the handles are on.

may help. thats how i installed a new handle on my ttop
Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

well the problem is that the base of the crank isnt big enough, its big enough to fit around the center part thats silver, but the silver part would have to come out farther for it to work. thats why i was wondering if I might need to remove the power windows or if I just have the wrong cranks all together. Ill give a try though, thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by buddha845
well the problem is that the base of the crank isnt big enough, its big enough to fit around the center part thats silver, but the silver part would have to come out farther for it to work. thats why i was wondering if I might need to remove the power windows or if I just have the wrong cranks all together. Ill give a try though, thanks
haha, i didnt catch that u still had all the power window components in your door still. remove the power window components and swap for the manual window components

what silver part are u referring to? the c-shaped clip on the crank handle?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

The center of the crank spot in the very last picture is the silveri m talking about. I dunno, something just doesnt seem right about it, like maybe I have the wrong cranks or the power window components needs to come out to make it right lol. Ill have time to do it on wednesday because I have class all day tomorrow , so we'll find out in a couple days, haha
Old 09-16-2008, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

The center of the crank spot in the very last picture is the silveri m talking about. I dunno, something just doesnt seem right about it, like maybe I have the wrong cranks or the power window components needs to come out to make it right lol. Ill have time to do it on wednesday because I have class all day tomorrow , so we'll find out in a couple days, haha
man, im pretty sure the power window components have to come out and be swapped for the manual parts. dont quote me on this because i have power windows and havent swapped them so i wouldnt know for sure.

as for the silver thing, i see what your talking about now but i have no clue man
Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nemss1
man, im pretty sure the power window components have to come out and be swapped for the manual parts. dont quote me on this because i have power windows and havent swapped them so i wouldnt know for sure.

as for the silver thing, i see what your talking about now but i have no clue man
Hell maybe I wont have to find out for a little longer, I just went out to fool with the busted window and its working now
Old 09-16-2008, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Hell maybe I wont have to find out for a little longer, I just went out to fool with the busted window and its working now
good deal bro, hopefully it stays working