General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Won't start, full batt, strange ticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Won't start, full batt, strange ticking

Well the bird has been sitting for a while and I tried to start it yesterday to no avail. Charged the battery overnight and cleaned the terminals, still nothing. Basically there seems to be no power to anything. I have checked the fuses and relays, all good. At first the guages would sweep and then that was it. I noticed yesterday that my alarm led indicator was flashing furiously, now it won't even blink. When I connect the battery, I can here a ticking sound from down around the area that the air system once was. When I open the door to the car, the ticking stops. I'm starting to think that it's related to the alarm. Oh yeah, when I pressed the buttons on the key fob you could hear the locks try to move but they wonuld'nt lock or unlock fully. Today they won't do anything. No lights or anything now but a slight jerk of the needle guages when the key is on. Any ideas what this could be? Or even where to start?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still sounds like the battery. Do you have a Volt meter you can put on there to check the voltage?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If its a sealed battery, is the green light ON? If its a wet battery is it full of water?

If not, then it won't hold the charge.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

New battery as of about 4 months ago. And I did check it, it's definitely charged. when I hooked it back up, I used di-electric grease in the terminals after I cleaned them. Could it be the VATS?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it cant be VATS. your keyless entry works.

sounds like a typical dead battery. get an accurate voltmeter and read the voltage.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Checked again.... battery is good. The ticking noise is coming from either side headlight motor. No idea why. All switches are off. Checked all fuses again.... all good. Absolutely no power anywhere. Checked the major grounds, all gtg. I am about to set fire to this thing.... I had plans to go to the lsx shootout thing in Tennessee tommorrow.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How are you testing the battery? A dead battery can still read 12.6v and show green on the eye.

BTW - the battery eye is worthless after the battery has been used. It is for shelf inspection purposes only. Once the battery partially sulfates once or twice during normal operation the eye read incorrectly.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

most likely its a loose terminal on the battery had that happen many times the side post are notorious for coming lose or starter
Old 10-04-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

It also may be severe corrosion in the main power wires. It will act as a bad contact or a loose terminal.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by samson_420
It also may be severe corrosion in the main power wires. It will act as a bad contact or a loose terminal.
Connections! Power can be there but the connections could be bad. Check the battery cables, not where they connect to the battery but at the other business end.